Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Levers - what happens when I pull this?  (Read 651 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Levers - what happens when I pull this?
« on: February 29, 2008, 04:04:00 pm »

I'd really like some way to see what a lever is already connected to. I've got a sort of trap control room set up, and it can get a little hard to remember which lever to pull when. I've got a few of them color coded, but that's not always possible.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Flok Speargrabber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Levers - what happens when I pull this?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 05:46:00 pm »

The way I do is I designate one-lever-per-item.

For example, the entrance to my fort is trapped so if an ambush sneaks in, 6 floodgates close around them. Obviously I have more than 6 floodgates in my fort. However, if I go to my lever-room and press a then f, the one that CANNOT connect to any of the floodgates is the right one.

Or you could draw an IRL diagram.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 05:52:00 pm »

I do it with colour coding. The colours of levers mean nothing in my scheme. Instead, I construct floors next to them with coloured stone. First colour signifies system (microcline for water etc.), and the second indicates specific object. I also put constructed coloured walls next to linked object, so it's impossible to misidentify connection. If two colours are not enough, use three.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 06:50:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Flok Speargrabber:
<STRONG>
Or you could draw an IRL diagram.</STRONG>

I resorted to this.  I've got a lever room with 19 levers for various plumbing, bridges, traps, etc.  I really wish the game would just tell you what they're linked to.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 07:44:00 pm »

Remember, losing is fun!  Why would you possibly want nice labels on your levers when the alternative is a FUN STUFF plumbing incident???

...Someone needs to put this in a story.  Just think... "Urist bolted toward the control room.  His instructions had been simple; pull the main gate control lever, followed by outer drainage maintenance lever and the perimeter aquaduct emergency dump lever.  He understood that this should 'flush' the dragon into the sewers, where it would hopefully drown.

"Urist stopped ahgast at the sight before him in the control room.  Three full rows of identical levers sprouted from the far wall.  The screams from outside told him there was no time to ask for clairifications; Urist closed his eyes, pulling three levers at random..."

[ February 29, 2008: Message edited by: Keldor ]

If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 07:47:00 pm »

In my dining room, I put levers laid out schematically like the drawbridges they're connected to are laid out.  I also try to go for green / yellow / red levers, denoting different levels of ohshit.

Otherwise, my levers are near the relevant item.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 09:07:00 pm »

I think lever rooms require lever ACCIDENTS.

Yes, he ran into the room, but he slipped.  Seven levers were thrown and before he could flip them back...

igless

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 09:23:00 pm »

This has been suggested many many many many times I'm sure it'll be implemented eventually.