Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Will there be a new graphical tileset released with the new DF2010?  (Read 4270 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Will there be a new graphical tileset released with the new DF2010?
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2010, 03:06:49 pm »

I'm not arguing against the possibility of DF coming with a graphics set. I  don't really see what the big advantage of them is since I look at the graphics sets and I'm positive I wouldn't know what they are supposed to represent if it was my first time playing the game anyway, but if some folks find it less intimidating that way, good.  I would approve of some set or another coming with DF, even set as default.  I would just turn it off myself.

I don't like the idea of Toady or somebody outright saying every creature that has been added just so some people can make sure their tileset includes every new creature as soon as possible.  Is it really such a big deal to see an A or a G every so often among your icons?  You would 'k' over them the first time to see what exactly they are anyway, icon or not.  And after the first time you would associate whatever you saw with the critter until somebody made a icon for them.  Besides, unless Toady does implement a graphics set with the game it's probably going to be a day, maybe two before anybody gets their sets working at all with the new version.

I know all the creatures and such are going to be mentioned everywhere once the game comes out, despite my objections, but I would like it to at least not happen before the new version is even released.  So that folks that like a surprise can enjoy it for a short time.

As for the learning curve forcing people to spoil themselves,, I didn't know about HFS til about 2 months after I started playing, and by that time I was competent enough to not need the wiki to play normally.  I wouldn't have known about it at all(until I encountered it), if somebody hadn't outright described it in the open on the forum.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 03:14:43 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Dabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2010, 11:00:25 pm »

I'm with you, Why can't people just..wait or give the game a shot with ASCII if they have already learned with graphical? It's what i did and I'm grateful I did it.
If a elf dies in a forest and only dwarfs are around to see it does anyone care?

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2010, 11:59:36 pm »

I prefer Graphical tile sets,  but I had to learn ASCII on my mac when my PC got fried, and I have been waiting so long for this next version I honestly don't If I had to play this game In ASCII and frikkin monochrome, I am diving into the next release and shutting off contact with the outside world.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Thank you based dwarf.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2010, 12:16:08 am »

Fretting over graphics is what caused Armok's development to slow in a lot of ways.

Dabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2010, 12:17:52 am »

I prefer Graphical tile sets,  but I had to learn ASCII on my mac when my PC got fried, and I have been waiting so long for this next version I honestly don't If I had to play this game In ASCII and frikkin monochrome, I am diving into the next release and shutting off contact with the outside world.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You know what will be fun?
When you get stuck and you can't get out of it because noone can help or are to busy experimenting for themself.
If a elf dies in a forest and only dwarfs are around to see it does anyone care?

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2010, 02:19:14 pm »

I'm with you, Why can't people just..wait or give the game a shot with ASCII if they have already learned with graphical? It's what i did and I'm grateful I did it.

I don't see why you would worry about what other people want...and perhaps they have learned the ASCII and just would prefer a graphic set..is there anything wrong with someone wanting a graphics set with the release?

random51

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2010, 02:33:19 pm »

Modding the config for tilesets is trivially easy. Somebody will create the new config files within a day to use one or more of the existing tilesets.

Those of us who are used to sticking together 2 or 3 tilesets and a handful of mods every time we start a new game won't have a problem, lol.

Sure, you'll have to wait for new artwork if you don't want to reuse tiles for multiple creatures.
Pages: 1 2 [3]