Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My first siege...  (Read 789 times)

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My first siege...
« on: March 11, 2010, 09:41:00 pm »

I'm using Dig Dwarfier, so naturally the siege was of the Orcs, and in the second summer when I had around 33 dwarves. I immediately ordered all my dwarves inside and to retract the drawbridge. Sadly, maybe a little more than 1/4 of my fortress was in a tunnel leading to the magma pipe, which was not connected to my main fortress, so they were stuck out there the same as the Orcs. Being the complete idiot that I am, I thought I could open my bridge, and get my dwarves in before the Orcs descended on them with hammer and wrestling. I was wrong. The Orc force had a LOT of wrestlers, and maybe a little under 2/4th of them got in, along with an Axeorc and a couple Hammerorcs, before I closed the gates. In desperation, I started screaming 'WEAPONSPREE' as I went to the military screen and activated every single dwarf I had. I went along screaming weapon spree while the experienced orcs battled my rag tag group of recruits and one axedwarf and marksdwarf (From my hunter and tree-feller). Many of the dwarves in the fortress died in the first 45 seconds of the engagement.
  Then, I finally noticed something that started even before the siege started: A fire golem climbed out of the magma pipe and started brutally murdering some of the dwarves stuck around the magma pipe and in the tunnel leading to it. I watch as it murders one of my blacksmiths stuck around the magma pipe. Now, the rest of the Orcs that didn't get in before I retracted my bridge get into the tunnel and murder the rest of the dwarves there, and they conveniently get into the magma pipe room just as the fire golem goes into the safety of the pipe.
  I'm still screaming WEAPONSPREE as the Orcs in the fort battle the dwarves in the fort, reducing the dwarven numbers to fourteen before all the Orc's die. A tantruming dwarf then pull the lever to the bridges, and as I go 'Fuuu' a few more wrestlers get in. I disactivate one recruit, which turned out to be a gemsetter, and order that dwarf to pull the lever. The dwarf thankfully does so, only letting around 3 Orcs get in, and then bleeds to death. The wrestlers somehow manage to reduce my numbers to 5 until they are taken out, and 2 of that 5 promptly bleed to death.
  The 3 remaining dwarves go to rest - one of them repeatedly throwing a tantrum - and I'm breathing hard, staring at the screen. I think its finally over until I see a goblin thief appear as a chicken spotted him. On the fortress side of the moat. While I contemplate how the goblin got past the moat, it proceeds to steal a few plump helmets, then go stab one of my 3 dwarves to death in his sleep, and then go steal some masterwork crafts. While I curse myself as I watch the 2 dwarves rest, one continually tantruming, and a dwarven corpse lying in bed. Suddenly, I get the notification that something has pulled the lever, and I pause and go look there, just in time to see a fire snake making its way off. I stare gaping at the screen as the Orcs rush in and kill my final two dwarves. I then commence cursing as I get the game to the title screen.

So, any tips on how to stop this from happening again?
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
Re: My first siege...
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 09:55:49 pm »

Sure, a number of suggestions.

1.) When you design your fortress' outdoor areas, set up long and twisting corridors to help slow invaders and give your Dwarves a fighting chance to get back to base.
2.) Don't EVER rely on the "forbid going outdoors" order; it has far too many issues, and it's far more effective to make a forced retreat back to base by cancelling/suspending all tasks outside the fort walls and forcing Dwarves to march back to main base because of tasks waiting for them there.
3.) Train your military early, with at least 10% of your population (preferrably 20%) working up to champion status with a strong weapon choice (hammer or axe are ideal).  In a normal game, I'd say 10% after the first immigrant wave is a safe bet, but for Orcs, you really need to go for 20% right out the gate.
4.) Wall in any area you plan to have civilians work in so that the only way in or out of the work area is through your fort proper.  It's a pain in the arse, but it's effective as all-get-out.
5.) Lock the doors.  And hope they don't have [BUILDINGDESTROYER].  (That's not very reassuring.)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 09:57:40 pm by SkyRender »
Sanity is for the weak.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 09:58:17 pm »

Also, seal off the magma pipe after you tap it for forges to prevent magma creatures from infiltrating your fort. The Fire Snake creature that pulled the lever appears not to be a vermin.

Laying traps around your levers can help too, not just against the mischievous, but against berserk creatures.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 10:01:51 pm »

Have at least one dwarf hunt with a crossbow, then put him in the military as soon as he reaches a decent skill level in Marksdwarf. If you have fortifications and a good stock of wood and bones to make emergency bolts, 1 dwarf can destroy a siege and gain a lot of exp with a bit of well timed lever pulling.

But it will take a lot of bolts to do it
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.