Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Graphic/raw folders organization.  (Read 438 times)

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Graphic/raw folders organization.
« on: April 23, 2010, 12:18:18 pm »

With raws being stored in thew save files now, I feel graphics tileset handling is a bit more clunky than the previous version. Playing a vanilla save with graphics requires you to mess with the raws (depending on how extensive the graphics pack is), and vice versa. I think that when "Full Graphics Support" from the Eternal Suggestion Voting is being worked on, graphics information should be able* to be separate from the raws, since graphics will (hopefully) be able to be separate from text, so using unused characters as extra graphical tiles won't be a necessary evil.

*I say able because having graphics in the save file override "default" graphics would be useful for, say, trying out a mod with its own, specific graphics.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 12:34:39 am by Sizik »
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Graphics separate from raws.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 12:33:06 am »

I've been thinking about this for a bit, and I think it'd be better if save files were grouped based on what raws they have. This would make mod installing easier, and there would be no hassle with generating worlds with different mods installed.*

My proposed changes are as follows. Save folders, instead of all being located in /data/save, are located in the folder /data/save/<mod name>, with vanilla saves being in /data/save/default. Instead of each save containing it's own raws, the raws would be located in /data/save/<mod name>/raw. If there are raws inside of a save folder, then the game uses those raws instead. Raws are not located anywhere else. This makes it easier to see which saves have which mods, and it eliminates have unneccessary copies of the raws in each save folder.

*Does anyone know if you can choose which raws to generate a world with in the advanced world-gen parameters menu, or if it just uses the default ones?

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Graphics separate from raws.
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 11:14:01 pm »

*Does anyone know if you can choose which raws to generate a world with in the advanced world-gen parameters menu, or if it just uses the default ones?

It seems you can't. That would be a good feature to add in, too.