Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Pure masterwork walls  (Read 2275 times)

jugglervr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pure masterwork walls
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2010, 12:59:54 pm »

A statue...act as walls for room designations

sorry to hijack a bit, but is this for certain? I just this morning was testing statues (my noble rooms are triangle-shaped):
Code: [Select]
#########   vs   #########
#`,`,`,`#        #S,`,`,S#
##`,`,`##        ##S,`,S##
###`.`###        ###S.S###
####D####        ####D####

I wanted to see if putting statues in the corners would shrink the rooms, and they don't. the rooms are effectively the same price to rent, and the room declaration extends well beyond the statues, into the walls.
I guess i'm wondering if statues are doing more than they say they do; I was expecting the room declaration to stop at the statues, but the declaration was the same for both rooms.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2010, 01:14:07 pm »

Did you re-designate the room? If you build, say, a bed, designate a bedroom from it, then surround the bed with walls, the room designation will still go through the walls until you resize it, at which point it stops at the new walls. This also works for doors, which is where I notice it most myself.

Hmm... Loaded up an old fort and setting up a statue-surrounded bedroom now. Hang on a bit...

Edit: Just did it. Prior to the statue ring being built, the designated bedroom was the default 7x7 size. Then, 12 statues were built surrounding it, around the perimeter of a 4x4 square. When the designated bedroom was resized, it refused to go larger than 4x4, stopping on all sides at those statues.

I didn't have economy on in that fort, though, and had too many bedrooms to find that particular one to check its value, so I don't know how much, if at all, the statues actually improved the room's value. Try resizing that second statue-filled room and rechecking its rent then; if it doesn't increase, that's kind of weird, and may mean that for room values at least engraved walls are better. More data is needed.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 01:22:12 pm by NecroRebel »
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

jugglervr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2010, 02:40:58 pm »

hrm. perhaps this was a factor of me being really sleepy and not seeing the walls right.

Just tested this on 2 triangular rooms, same size, same stone, smooth walls:

###########     
#    b    d     
##       ##     
###     ###     
####   ####     
##### #####     

########### vs  ###########
#    b    d     # s  b  s d
##s     s##     ## s   s ##
###s   s###     ### s s ###
####s s####     #### s ####
#####s#####     ##### #####
statues in corners vs kitty-corner to walls

after i put in the statues in test 1, the room size was the same (extended beyond the statues). when i re-sized the room, it wouldn't go beyond them, AND the value dropped from ~1360 to 1250.
I guess the lesson is to define the room before i statue-ize it.seems like i can fill a room to where it's just a bed and a dense field of statues and it will retain its old size and increased value.

edit: whoah. a mason claimed the statue-full bedroom. Making blocks over and over and over again must be lucrative. any way to easily tell what a dorf's wealth is?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 02:50:30 pm by jugglervr »

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2010, 03:18:40 pm »

Hmm... The drop in the room's value is probably due to the fact that you're no longer including the smoothed walls and floors that are now blocked by statues. Assuming your room is in ordinary 1-value stone, each smoothed wall should be worth 5 and each smoothed floor 4. I count 7 now-blocked floors and 16 (or 8... I don't know if the wiki is right about corners not counting) now-blocked walls, which would account for a 108 dwarfbuck drop in the room value between the un-resized room. Remember, by adding those statues in, you're essentially shrinking the room a bit!

The wiki claims that to see a dwarf's account with the economy on, you check their profile (v-p-z or u-select dwarf-v). I've not played with the economy in a long time, so I'm not sure, myself.

Again, though, your "line the walls with statues" thing is shrinking the room a bit; I was suggesting actually keeping the room the same size, digging out all of the walls, and just replacing them with statues, especially for rooms that are surrounded by fortress on all sides. So instead of what you had, it'd be more like this:
sssssssssss     
s    b    d     
#s       s#     
#ss     ss#     
##ss   ss##     
###ss ss###     

Which should be significantly higher value is my theory is correct. Like, thousands higher. Which probably isn't a good idea with the economy on for normal dwarves' bedrooms, but for nobles' chambers, legendaries' rooms, the main public dining room, and many workshop walls, it's theoretically fantastic.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2010, 04:06:39 pm »

Obsidian casting is the only way without 'cheating' and using utilities.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.
Pages: 1 [2]