Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Potential for flooding the world...  (Read 2728 times)

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Potential for flooding the world...
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2010, 06:19:52 pm »

Presumably Armok molded the land like that because he wants you to flood the world and rid it of elves. I say do it.

If it was Armok, it would be a magma river.

If there's a magma pipe on the map you can change that! ^.o

DarkDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2010, 07:19:23 pm »

I'm going to embark here and channel out one tile to see how epic of a flood I can cause. I'll report back in a bit... been awhile since I've destroyed my framerate quite so epicly.

edit:

surprisingly my framerate did ok, held steady at about 80FPS, but that was with a cap of 200 and only 7 dwarves.

I created a nice wave of water that filled the lower areas next to the floating brook on the embark area the OP posted.

Would be a fun place for a fort, center your fort around the brook and put the entrance out in front of the natural aqueduct, there's already a natural cave for you even.

Then dam the brook further upstream so you can build in your own release system for the natural aqueduct, and voila, you can send a tidal wave out your entrance at will. :D

EDIT - This assumes the brook flows from the upper area to the lower. I'm not convinced yet that's the case, it could very well flow from the lower area and teleport to the upper... this being DF.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 07:27:50 pm by DarkDragon »

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2010, 03:28:19 pm »

feel free to submit this as a bug report if you wish... I currently am painstakingly converting the "walls" of the natural aqueduct into drawbridges, so the entire right hand side of the brook wall collapses under my command... sould be a nice splash.
This is a blank sig.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2010, 07:43:30 pm »

Oddly, it looks like the water is disappearing at the "top edge" of the brook because the tiles into which it would normally flow have not been allocated - all you need to do is designate a construction in one of the tiles over the edge and the water will start falling down into the channel below.

Also, strange - the walls of the "mid section" don't have any floors on top of them, just open space with a red dot and a light gray background (the normal color for silty clay), just like what happens when you do an ice cave-in.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2010, 06:53:39 pm »

I've had weirdness with a multi-z-level brook on a frozen biome before, so maybe there's some correspondence there.

Also, this from Toady:
Quote from: devlog
The feature layers also weren't taking into account the local erosion elevation drops from rivers, so occasionally a stream bed would be floating in the sky above underground features and cave-ins would happen immediately, leaving little spikes of stream bed where the cavern's columns and walls had been.

But since underground rivers per se will be gone next version, this bug will probably no longer be relevant too.
Pages: 1 [2]