Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Floating in midair!  (Read 1062 times)

EliDupree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Eli Dupree's Web Page
Floating in midair!
« on: March 10, 2010, 06:20:32 pm »

I built a tall 3x3 open space underground. I opened the top center tile so that the center column, and only the center column, was "Above Ground". I build a 3x3 retractable bridge across one of the levels (a few down from the top) and linked it to a lever. I put 3/7 water on the bridge.

Winter came. A single block of ice appeared, in the same tile as the bridge center. Then I retracted the bridge. Then I deconstructed the bridge, just to make absolutely sure.

The block of ice is still there, floating in midair.

For my next trick, I'm going to try to build a bridge to the top of the ice block and build a stone floor on top of it. Meanwhile, I've backed up my save. Engineering using floating ice could have... interesting applications. It could potentially even have Fun applications.

EDIT: Wow. The ice fell as the instant I allocated the creation of the bridge to it. That was disappointing at first, but now it seems even more awesome, because it could give a player instant control of deathtraps. Of course, that would be an exploit, but it's only fair when the game is unfairly stopping me from creating automatic cave-ins (which is what I was originally trying to do with this ice trick.)

EDIT: I also built a wall on top of some ice. The block remained in midair after the ice melted under it. It didn't fall until I completed a bridge touching it. Trapping enemies on floating blocks by dropping them there would probably work, and would be pretty cute (albeit useless.)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 09:01:51 pm by EliDupree »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Floating in midair!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 06:32:03 pm »

Make it bigger, wall and roof it over, then move all your dwarfs onto it. Make sure you warn them that if they try to make contact with the heathens on the ground, their entire existence will be doomed. DOOMED!!

EliDupree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Eli Dupree's Web Page
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 06:45:28 pm »

Wow. You're right. I could lock all my dwarfs in a large, hollow block of floating ice that falls and kills them instantly if they try to dig their way out of it.

That would be a truly epic mega-project. Although it would only be possible on an always-frozen map (unless it's just there for the lulz as they fall when it melts.)

Better yet, leave some dwarves outside - first have them cut away the surrounding mountain so that the block of ice is completely ridiculous, and then build a platform above it to allow them to drop food and booze to the dwarves trapped inside.

Malsqueek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 10:11:01 pm »

Ohh! lots of "slept outside" tags, and not many "happy because of..." tags. I detect a Fun version of Arena Combat coming, where you toss in a bunch of dwarves and wait for them to go mad killing each other in the resulting mini-spiral!

Bonus points for putting it in the center of your dining hall and letting the normal dwarves watch!