Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help from You Trappers. What is the Best Way...  (Read 1003 times)

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Help from You Trappers. What is the Best Way...
« on: March 17, 2010, 09:52:36 pm »

To capture a Giant Eagle?
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help from You Trappers. What is the Best Way...
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 10:25:54 pm »

I once had  a mountain fort, and had a bit of a giant eagle problem. Ie, giant eagle eats tons of dwarves. So the giant eagle is flying towards my fort, I cringe.... boom, it gets caught by a cage trap. I lol'd.

But seriously, that's really to rare to rely on. You may be able to bait a trap, but it's unlikely you'll ever catch a thing. Why not just shoot it down and buy steal one from the elves?
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 10:29:39 pm »

Because the elves might not be able to sell him a giant eagle.

I find that sometimes if I lay cage traps around flat mountain areas, giant eagles will wander into them with a fair bit of regularity. It's never certain, and I frequently save scum to make sure that they do wander in, but it works for me most of the time.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 11:10:48 pm »

I've seen talk of this before...  I've actually caught batmen before simply by having a cage trap at my enterance.  Flyers will get caught by cage traps just like anything else if they are on ground level, so if they go through enclosed entrances (generally by following an escaping dwarf into one), they'll get caught.

You can use a type of floor or wall that creatures can see through to bait your prey.  Windows are see-through, and eagles will crash through windows to attack dwarves.  Set up some happy nobles in a tower or cliff face with some windows, and line the spaces behind the windows with some cage traps.  Nobles get windows, you might get a potential pet, and maybe a noble dies.  Win-win-win.

Alternatively, you can set up a building with grates for a "ceiling", so that creatures flying above can see the mule or whatever you chain up as bait, but will need to pass through a narrow, trap-lined enterance to to reach them. 

The hardest part with a flyer is just catching their attention, though.  I know my batmen certainly love to just nap for years on end 10 z levels in mid air on the very corners of my map.

You'll need to build somewhere they'll pass over, but you obviously can't build while they're actually circling overhead...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 11:54:44 pm »

I'm wondering if something like bmaczero's wild animal trap might work on fliers if you stacked multiple z-levels on top of each other.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

EliDupree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Eli Dupree's Web Page
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 08:45:24 am »

I imagine you could build an outdoor building with one cage-trap-lined entrance and a bait animal inside.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 08:51:42 am »

I'm wondering if something like bmaczero's wild animal trap might work on fliers if you stacked multiple z-levels on top of each other.
Just what I was thinking :D.  To clarify, that's a cross with a cage trap in the center:
Code: [Select]
   X
   X
XXX^XXX
   X
   X

Works great on wandering animals.  The wider the cross the better.
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 01:48:49 pm »

Making that 15 z-levels tall would be a pain in the butt for the size that those crosses must be to work.  Assuming it was 20 tiles long, that's 300 wall segments, 15 cages, 15 mechanisms, plus either 90 or 150 staircases, depending on how stretched out you want to be.

And that's for one trap.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 05:32:01 pm »

It sits in the air, 2 tiles away from the edge.

My map is a valley with a river running through it. There are tiny corners of a mountain on the upper left an upper right of the map.

The Eagle sits 1 z-level up from one of the mountain roots, which is 2 z-levels from the standard valley floor. And it hasn't moved since. As I said before, it sits 2 z-levels from the edge of the map (where the mountain Biome is)
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 05:49:23 pm »

Looks like you'll have to send someone to bait it.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 07:35:42 pm »

kill it WITH FIRE!!!! (bolts)
Nom nom nom

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 04:18:52 am »

zombie giant eagles XD

just sent someone to bait the giant eagle , win