Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Semi-Megabeasts steal to protect us  (Read 955 times)

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
Semi-Megabeasts steal to protect us
« on: March 10, 2010, 12:08:43 am »

I was looking through my pile of semi-megabeasts, and noticed that there was an abundance of tags that caused them to steal food, drink, and crafts. Partially motivated by interest, partially by annoyance at the clutter that this generates over history, I removed them all.

It was interesting.

The worlds that I generated were much lower in civilisation count. In fact, many of them completely lacked kobolds and elves. The others were also much smaller and less expansionary.

After a few strange worlds, I checked the Legends. It was brutal.

Without the stealing of trinkets and snacks to distract them, Minotaurs and Ettins simply killed. Many civilisations were destroyed before the first generation of children could grow up. The sentient races were either dead, or barely holding on.

So let that be a lesson to you. When you read Legends and snort in annoyance as you see row after row of how a monster steals beer and earrings, do consider that the alternative is a bloody world of empty dreams and Minotaur-Kings sitting atop piles of bones. Because deep inside, they don't want to crush, kill, and destroy. They just want a hoard of cow meat.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

catsplosion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Semi-Megabeasts steal to protect us
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 01:51:34 pm »

Would be an interesting endeavor to try to re-balance the world around these new, bloodier monstrosities, and see just how dangerous a world you can make.  I might give that a try when I have time.

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 03:58:01 pm »

the alternative is a bloody world of empty dreams and Minotaur-Kings sitting atop piles of bones.

Damn you for inciting my imagination. Now I'm going to have to generate a new world.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 05:30:53 pm »

Wait. You're saying that semi-megabeasts stealing wild strawberries is worse than worldwide slaughter?
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Ninteen45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 05:35:14 pm »

If you want to be able to play as any race, then no.

Max characters: 500; characters remaining: 395
Images in your signature must be no higher than 80 pixels.