Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I have a quick question.  (Read 1001 times)

RocketLLama

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
I have a quick question.
« on: March 09, 2010, 06:53:42 pm »

I'm fairly new to the game, and very new to trying to modify it.

I'm looking for a way to make it possible to build a floor grate that is only surrounded by other floor grates.

When I try to make like a 4x4 or anything higher(of floor grates), it says that it is surrounded by empty space, and supposedly they need to be touched by a floor on at least one side.

If someone could at least point me in the right direction I would be grateful.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: I have a quick question.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 07:01:44 pm »

You should look up the support or cave-in articles on the wiki.

The basic problem you are having is that you need orthagonal (non-diagonal) access to a support-giving tile for a new tile to be supported, and grates don't provide support.  You need actual floors, stairs, walls, or similar things.  In practice, this means you will need to put regular floor tiles down alternating with grates if you want to make a large area covered in grates.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

RocketLLama

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 07:06:58 pm »

Yeah I understand that much, but what I was asking is if it would be possible to modify some game file to make it so that I could build grates next to grates without the floors.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 07:28:43 pm »

No; buildings are not currently moddable, and grates are buildings.

You'll have to have at least 3 floors per 4x4 area to fill the other 13 squares with grates, or more for a bigger space. Unless... Hmm...

I don't know for certain if this will work, but there is a bug involving constructed walls that you might be able to use. If you build a constructed wall, the top of that wall is treated as a floor for all other purposes, including building buildings on top of them. However, once the building on top of the wall is built, you can remove the wall and the pseudo-floor that once supported the building above goes away as well, leaving the building hanging in midair, even if it would normally require a floor underneath it. You can get non-anchored drawbridges, floating floodgates, and the like with this technique.

So, what I'm thinking is this. On the level below where you want your grate square, build a number of walls, like so for a 4x4 square:

++++
+O++
++O+
++++

Then, on the next level up, build all 16 grates; the floors from the walls below will support the 4 central grates. Then, remove the walls. If all goes well, you'll then have a 4x4 square of grates, easy and done with forever. If all goes badly, the 4 central ones, being unsupported, will promptly collapse, crush-kill-destroying at least one of the people removing the walls. Or, the central 4 might simply deconstruct harmlessly. Regardless, for safety's sake I'd recommend turning off caveins before you attempt this exploitish workaround.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!