Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fighting a Giant Eagle  (Read 1110 times)

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
Fighting a Giant Eagle
« on: March 05, 2010, 10:21:35 pm »

I'm in a tough spot - two tiles away from a Giant Eagle, and I saved in this position.  I'm Perfectly Agile, Extremely Tough, a professional hammerdwarf, skilled thrower, and professional wrestler.  Pretty much everything in my inventory is some kind of corpse.
I've tried savescumming and fighting it a few times, but I keep dying.  Any tips?
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fighting a Giant Eagle
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 10:53:06 pm »

Running away doesn't work?
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 11:06:04 pm »

Well, it didn't the first few times... I actually just tried again, and eventually I managed to hurt it while it was attacking me.  So I got away this time.   8)
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 11:39:49 pm »

:P, should go back and kill it.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 11:59:35 pm »

Last time I found a giant eagle in Adventurer mode was with an Expert Hammerdwarf, Shield User, Armour User. It was dark and I only saw it when it was right next to me. I hit it first and sent it flying. Killed it in one.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 12:19:48 am »

Run, sneak, throw stuff.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 02:10:40 am »

Throw the corpses at it.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 12:04:25 pm »

stand still,when it moves in for the kill attack.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 02:32:28 pm »

Its odd but I've never had problems with these guys, probably because I train wrestling up so they can never hit me. Everytime I fight a giant eagle or semi-mega beast its always something like

Beast attacks but misses
you counterattack
Beasts head goes flying

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 08:40:09 pm »

Well, if you can break one of its wings while it's in the air, it falls and takes even more damage. Keep thwacking it until it falls, really.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Sithlordz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 02:34:15 pm »

Grab it while it's flying about and throw it to the ground.  Then batter it while it's down.  You can grab stuff that's a few Z-levels higher than you I think, so you might be able to do a bit of damage to it, then strangle it to death while it's throwstunned.
You are sentenced to 2477 consecutive life terms.  Have a nice day.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 08:26:31 am »

Here is the correct way to fight a giant eagle:

A piercing cry was the only warning before a pair of huge talons tore into the dwarf's shoulders. Aliz reached out to the victim and cried. Bram and Dahlia held the hero back as the giant eagle dragged the dwarf over the side. The dwarf screamed for a long second before he was dashed against the rocks. William backed against the side of the mountain as the monster turned around for another pass.

As Dahlia readied a spear, a terrible feeling came over her. Though the giant eagle was monstrous, it was a natural creature. She could almost hear the recriminating voice of the cougar woman in her ear. No, she could not kill it. Though her whole self was already lost to the Spirit, to further mock creation was not worth her miserable life. She let the javelin slip from her hands and raised her arms to the giant bird as it rushed toward her.

The beast let out a piercing call as it came. Its mouth slammed shut as Bram leapt upon its neck and trapped its beak shut. The monster eagle pulled up, away from the mountain, Bram's arms around its neck. As they roared through the sky in a dance of brutal violence, the warrior twisted his arms around the creature's neck and snapped its spine. As the bird's body turned toward the earth, Bram grasped its wings and struggled to keep the creature's body in the air. The dwarves watched in amazement as the barbarian guided the eagle's body down to crash at William's feet.

From http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/story/tt_summon.html