Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What fort had the epic magma drop trap?  (Read 1179 times)

Kav

• Bay Watcher
  • b-C-w
    • View Profile
What fort had the epic magma drop trap?
« on: March 06, 2010, 10:04:22 pm »

It was a long corridor built out of solid iron with a floor of iron grates. A dwarf pulls a lever, the bridges holding the magma above retract dropping the payload of magma on the invaders. It drains straight through to the floor. Then the green glass pumps automatically reloaded the trap within seconds. It was an epic video. I'd like to show it to my friend but I can't find it or remember the name of the fortress. Anyone remember?

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What fort had the epic magma drop trap?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 10:21:04 pm »

DFMA Video
DFMA Map
Thread

Yes, that is incredibly awesome, and I'd build it myself if I had the space.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 10:44:55 pm »

omg that is awesome.

Kav

• Bay Watcher
  • b-C-w
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 11:51:43 pm »

It's so beautiful. Thank you.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 12:27:03 am »

Another version of this is to use the mist generator, but instead of water use magma. It can be brutally effective.

DarkDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 03:49:05 am »

Nice.

My current fort has a lot messier version of that.

I have a pump stack attached to the magma pipe at the bottom level, which pumps the magma to about 3 z-levels above my main entranceway.

It's then held in a 6 tile wide channel with an iron retractable bridge at the end.

Upon pulling the lever a massive amount of magma is dumped into the roadway (which is why the roads are made of Nickel people!), and hopefully, catches caravans and/or goblins. :D

I say it's much messier because I don't bother to clean up afterwards. I'm working on pumping water into the same area to create obsidian, but right now I just let it dry out.

Which is fine, after a few minutes of this device running I usually fill my entranceway with 7/7 magma and flood the z-level outside the fort and send waves of magma rushing down the roadway and into the fields.

I was hoping this would start grass fires but it just makes lots of ash. Oh well, it's still fun.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 07:34:25 am »

I got a version of this too, it's a bit messier but a whole helluva lot less pumps and it's easy to trap the whole siegers:

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-1664-itsatrap
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

NFossil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 05:27:15 pm »

I've tried the mist generator design. Oddly the magma doesn't instantly burn anything, perhaps because the time of contact is too short. It feels good to slowly kill your enemies though.

Garky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 01:50:16 am »

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-1303-crispyorc

Have the enemies on the same level as the pumps, rather than a level below the pumps. The mist generator design is quite effective. I hadn't seen the magma drop trap before, good stuff!

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 02:18:24 am »

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-1303-crispyorc

Have the enemies on the same level as the pumps, rather than a level below the pumps. The mist generator design is quite effective. I hadn't seen the magma drop trap before, good stuff!
Don't suppose we can have the plans for that beauty? It looks like it'd require less space than the ultimate lava trap above while still leaving room for expansion, which I'd appreciate on my small map.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 02:36:54 am »

I like using a much more standard type of magma trap, but its a multi-part trap. The magma is merely the last step.

First up is a pair of bridges, offset to each other, all linked to the same lever or repeater (which can then be turned on or off by lever). One bridge will always be up, the other will always be withdrawn, and it alternates.

Code: [Select]
X...XXXX...X
X.1.XXXX.2.X
X...XXXX...X
X...XXXX...X
X...XXXX...X
X...XXXX...X
X...XXXX...X
X...XXXX...X
X...XXXX...X
X...XXXX...X
X...XXXX...X

At all times there will be an entrance into the fort, but it will alternate between bridge 1 and 2 continually.

Below this is a pit. Not a very deep one, just a single level drop. Its to "collect" things. Elves, goblins, whatever.

Code: [Select]
XXXXXXXXXXXX
X..........X
X..........X
X..........X
X..........X
X..........X
X..........X
X..........X
X..........X
X..........X
XXXXXXXXXXXX

A retractable bridge is the floor of this holding pen. Once I've gathered up an entire siege or caravan, I then dump the holding pen to the lower level.

Depending on my mood, its either a giant water powered flusher, using pressurized water to push them off into a splattering pit where everything can be collected.

I could also put random spike traps in the lower pit, or simply flood the lower pit with magma.

I also occasionally use them as part of an arena. Once everything is gathered up I'll park my army on the other side of the entryway to the lower pit and open the door, letting my military slaughter everything.

Its a very flexible design, and can easily catch even trap immune or building destroyer creatures, and then once you catch them in the holding pen you can subject them to whatever fate you want.

I do personally prefer water instead of magma actually, just so that I can use the water to flush them into the deep pit where they explode upon impact. Each body part then decays into a bone, and so I can decorate more things with bone.