Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Question About Digging Downward  (Read 695 times)

Taiyama

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
A Question About Digging Downward
« on: March 07, 2010, 12:38:46 am »

Hey, all. I'm an incredibly new player to Dwarf Fortress--you can thank the Let's Plays Boatmurdered, Headshoots, and Syrupleaf for that--and I'm having trouble expanding downward. Funnily enough, I was able to dig down to a fourth level downward by first doing downward stairs, then two sets of up/down stairs, then stopping at the fourth level with some upward stairs. I put some more downward stairs in another part of that fourth level and I'm trying to place some up/down stairs right beneath it, but it won't work. It says "blocked" when the cursor is right below my downward stairs but "hidden" when elsewhere in the fifth level I want to dig to. I can't figure out what's wrong considering I did the exact same thing earlier. If it helps, I'm following the tutorial here: http://afteractionreporter.com/2009/02/21/the-complete-and-utter-newby-tutorial-for-dwarf-fortress-part-7-%E2%80%9Ca-mighty-fortress%E2%80%9D/ and it says for me to go down one more level and do what I'm doing, yet for some reason I can't do it.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
Re: A Question About Digging Downward
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 12:46:12 am »

Pardon what may constitute an obvious question, but were you trying to construct an up/down or up stair instead of designate it?
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

Taiyama

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 12:49:20 am »

Welp, that was a rooky mistake on my part. Mea culpa, thanks for pointing out the obvious for me.

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 12:53:02 am »

No problem.  ;D
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.