Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma burps.  (Read 1040 times)

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
Magma burps.
« on: March 06, 2010, 04:34:47 pm »

Near the bottom level of my map, I dug out some space for magma shops, dug some tunnels on the level below to carry magma from the magma pipe, and then channeled out the holes in the floor to place the magma shops over. I've done this several other times on other forts, no problems. Unpumped magma can't flow upwards, so it doesn't leak into the magma shop rooms despite the fact that there are a dozen z-levels of magma above it. Except for this time.

Every so often, a splash of magma will "burp" up out of the hole closest to the magma pipe, leaving 3-5 tiles of 1/7 magma on the floor. It doesn't burp up out of any of the others, which also have 7/7 magma beneath but are more remote. Also, the "burping" hole is directly over a wider section of the actual magma pipe on the level below, not over an "artificial" magma tunnel (not sure if this would matter).

I can't build a shop over this hole because there's always some 1/7 magma laying around. Even if I could I don't think that I'd want to, since an untimely burp would probably set the worker on fire. The only thing different with my current setup (compared to my past setups) is that I used no floodgate, grates, etc this time, just digging, since I had the final system planned out from the beginning, and had already killed the nasties in the pipe. No pumps are involved. The pipe hasn't completely refilled from draining into the tunnels; the top level has a bunch of 6/7s that are cycling around. I imagine that the burps also create some top-level 6/7s.

Anyone seen this before, or know what causes this?

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magma burps.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 04:41:25 pm »

These "burps" are how a magma pipe refills itself, I believe.  Try to keep your workshops further from the magma pipe.

...hrm, I thought the wiki used to mention that.  Maybe it changed.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 05:35:34 pm »

Hmm, you are probably correct. The hole is above the magma pipe tiles on the lowest level. I had skimmed some of the threads about magma pipe refilling in the past, but had been under the impression that the "magma drops" were only added at the top.

Well, I'll patch it up and alter the design. R.I.P., symmetrical workshop design.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 05:40:52 pm »

I don't have much actual experience with magma (heresy, I know), but it sounds about right.  I could be wrong, though.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 06:38:49 pm »

I have run into this same thing and I am pretty sure it is the magma pipe filling itself.

While the wiki says it fills from the top, it seems that the way it works is that empty tiles that are considered 'inside' the magma pipe that have 7/7 magma below them and are below the top of the pipe will randomly spawn a 7/7 tile of magma until it is filled.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 04:51:40 am »

I've had the same thing myself with a pumpstack bringing magma to the surface.
If the channel you dug is DIRECTLY underneath open space at the top level of the pipe, magma will spawn there to refill the pipe. id DOES NOT matter whether there is intervening solid rock or not, it will fill regardless.. like this...

Code: [Select]
#########..............#####
#############..........#####
###########!#.......########
###########.......##########

# rock
. open space/magma
! magma WILL spawn here

the magma will spawn at the highest level with a direct drop to a magma source tile, then drop to fill, it may spill sideways 1 or two squares from this location.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 07:15:00 am by Vicomt »

CrossBolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Lucid Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 12:11:05 pm »

this isn't all lost, build a rope and attach a goblin to it (or maybe a cage) and watch as they set on fire, possibly running into your fort and doing the same to your dwarves
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where nosebleeds melt your face off.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 12:16:26 pm »

If the channel you dug is DIRECTLY underneath open space at the top level of the pipe, magma will spawn there to refill the pipe. id DOES NOT matter whether there is intervening solid rock or not, it will fill regardless..
Just to clarify, solid rock doesn't matter between the channel and the top of the magma pipe (the top in this case being the top level of the pipe when first discovered, and full). Solid rock between the Magma Flow tiles and the channel does matter, and even a bridge will stop magma from bubbling up.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.