Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Castle Design  (Read 5858 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Castle Design
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2010, 07:51:31 pm »

You really shouldn't be working on making a fully functioning castle straight from the get-go, or even a skeleton, you should start with just making a defensible perimeter and work stations outside, or in "work crew shanties" that are just walls and a roof.

Once you have the basic necessities, defense, and sustainability down, then you start working on your megaprojects.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Nobbins

• Bay Watcher
  • Dustland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2010, 08:05:10 pm »

The skeleton is the perimeter. I'm upping the work on that, along with filling a pond inside one of the 'node' structures. It's nearly sealed.
Nobbins's Tileset Shoppe
It would mean that once a year, all of your female cats suddenly explode if there are any male cats around.

PotatoDaddy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2010, 01:01:14 am »

MAKE IT BIGGER

Make it dorfier! Cover it in spikes!

Urist McAceofcakes cancels commercial: Baking cake.

Nobbins

• Bay Watcher
  • Dustland
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2010, 09:39:26 pm »

I've fended off at least six kobold sieges, and not one lizard (except a baby) has died. Since immigration is nonexistant, I savescum a ton to make sure none of the working lizards die in a siege. Leads to stress, seeing as thirst /always/ lines up so that four lizards run to the brook to get a drink at the exact moment a siege starts.

The castle shell is complete, so as long as the lock the doors, their safe, but running to get water is still a problem.

Elves are the only people trading with me, so I have no outside resources. I should have brought some rope. =[
Nobbins's Tileset Shoppe
It would mean that once a year, all of your female cats suddenly explode if there are any male cats around.

Nobbins

• Bay Watcher
  • Dustland
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2010, 09:46:47 pm »

Pictures:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The castle is going well, and I have an Elite Wrestler, three babies and a 'child'. Only a matter of time before the workforce swells a bit. The sieges happen about once a season, so I savescum a /ton/, and, as such, it takes forever for anything to get done between hauling siege earnings and the sieges themselves. It's fun, though. nd there are four pages full of dead kobolds.
Nobbins's Tileset Shoppe

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2010, 10:03:28 pm »

hmmm... dang it. now I'm gonna have to go to every human town on my map and build a dwarven garrison on a mountain to lord over the beardless sissies. And if there is no mountain (though my world is mountainous) I'll just have to build that too.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 02:36:17 pm by silverskull39 »
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

PotatoDaddy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2010, 02:04:21 pm »

Looks good so far.

Can your lizardmen be marksmen? If so try and get 2 of those leveled up. Should help a lot with the sieges.

Nobbins

• Bay Watcher
  • Dustland
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2010, 03:22:33 pm »

I /can/, but most of them are already wrestlers, and there's no real time to train, save the moments directly before the siege.
Nobbins's Tileset Shoppe

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2010, 03:45:14 pm »

There's nothing wrong with mixing and matching your military weapon specializations...

In fact, it's actually reccomended to train in wrestling for at least proficient before doing anything else, since it increases evasion rates.  A marksdwarf who might see melee should also know Hammerdwarf, since that's what a crossbow used in melee will use.

... on another note, I'm actually a little sad that this castle looks so small.  I was hoping for something a little more commanding.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Nobbins

• Bay Watcher
  • Dustland
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2010, 03:58:10 pm »

It's probably the custom font I'm using. And I'm going to be expanding it it sometime in the future, as soon as the four little ones are in the working force.
Nobbins's Tileset Shoppe

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2010, 08:22:41 pm »

It's not the font, it's just that it's only about 50 tiles by 50 tiles.  That's basically the size of my tree farm...

Well, I hope you can expand into something that can command the only fording of a river in that desert...
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Nobbins

• Bay Watcher
  • Dustland
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2010, 04:11:40 pm »

Eh, between sieges, I think I'm doing good enough. And note it's modular design.
Nobbins's Tileset Shoppe

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2010, 12:38:51 pm »

NEEDS A MAGMA MOAT

I'm severely disappointed that you guys haven't suggested it yet. Seriously, what the hell? How could you forget something that important?

Nobbins

• Bay Watcher
  • Dustland
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2010, 01:56:14 pm »

NEEDS A MAGMA MOAT

I'm severely disappointed that you guys haven't suggested it yet. Seriously, what the hell? How could you forget something that important?

Um, I dunno, maybe because the only red stuff in the map is sand and blood. =/ But also, I haven't made a single pump since I've started about half a year ago. I'm more focused on architecture, so even if I had magma, I'd kill myself 50 times over trying to figure out how to get it into the moat.

Also, Dark Elf snatchers have arrived, along with a goblin caravan, which confuses me.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 02:08:35 pm by Nobbins »
Nobbins's Tileset Shoppe

Nobbins

• Bay Watcher
  • Dustland
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2010, 07:30:37 pm »

Strength has broken on a double kobold/orc siege. It was pretty epic watching all the blood.
Nobbins's Tileset Shoppe
Pages: 1 [2]