Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Secretive Dwarf  (Read 936 times)

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Secretive Dwarf
« on: March 05, 2010, 11:25:26 pm »

Okay, so I have a secretive dwarf, claimed a metalcrafter's shop, and is drawing pictures of 'a quarry' 'stacked leather' and 'shining bars of metal' which I take to mean he wants tanned hides, stone, and bars of metal.  All of which I have.

Which begs the question, why is he just sitting there instead of going out and getting them.  I know sometimes a dwarf will want spider silk cloth instead of plant fiber and not mention it- is it possible the dwarf wants a particular kind of metal?

rufio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Secretive Dwarf
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 11:32:58 pm »

Maybe he wants stone blocks, instead of just stone?

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 12:24:48 am »

is it possible the dwarf wants a particular kind of metal?

Yes, so it's probably exactly this.  Check the dwarf's preferences for a metal preference.

beekay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 06:13:41 am »

There are very few situations in which a dwarf will only use one type of metal - he probably needs stone blocks, as was said.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 06:17:53 am »

No, if he needed blocks, he'd be sketching "square blocks", or so the wiki says.

beekay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 06:24:03 am »

...true. Huh. That is strange, then. In that case I suppose the type of the metal could be the holdup. I've never heard of that being a problem before you find the blue stuff, though.

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 10:26:02 am »

His only metal preference is for silver, and smelting some of that didn't tempt him to leave his workshop.

I hope he's not demanding a specific stone according to his preferences, because I haven't got any pitchblende.

Edit:  Never mind- he snuck out while I wasn't looking and gathered everything.  Guess it was the silver.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 10:34:08 am by Don Blake »

andrewas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 10:38:46 am »

Use 'T' to check the contents of his workshop - if he's started gathering a material he will want to use more of the same.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 03:12:03 pm »

I'm nearly 100% that moody dwarves do not require specific metals.

My guess is that you didn't have enough metal for him, and smelting the silver provided enough for him to finish.
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Wulf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 04:19:31 pm »

Check to see if the workshop's clogged, if it is it'll say <CLT> by the name in the q menu. Moody dorfs usually won't work in a cluttered shop.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 10:58:59 pm »

I'm nearly 100% that moody dwarves do not require specific metals.

My guess is that you didn't have enough metal for him, and smelting the silver provided enough for him to finish.

Moody dwarves will demand a certain metal, if it's one of their likes. This I know. If he needs multiple bars, they will all have to be that metal. Had a dwarf make a ring out of three bars of aluminum, once. Wasteful bastard.

I think any dwarf with a metal like will always demand it when he makes an artifact (assuming the artifact requires metal, it might not.) It's also possible that only some metals can be demanded, I never experimented with this very closely.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 11:16:41 pm by Kanil »
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.