Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF+Dig Deeper+Bad **** computer= DF still Slow  (Read 722 times)

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
DF+Dig Deeper+Bad **** computer= DF still Slow
« on: March 04, 2010, 12:08:13 pm »

I am using a Core i7 920 clocked at 2.67 Gigahertz, 9 gigs of DDR3 SDRAM @ 1066 Mhertz 1 GB Nvidia 250 for my GPU

and when i start a 6x6 fort without modding, i can have 4 rivers each pouring down 6 z-levels and have 240+ FPS with 60 of Urist's cousins, add Dig Deeper mod and a 5x5 with HFS, Magma pipe, and a brook makes my computer grind down to ~80... starting

Is anyone else experiencing this??
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 12:15:16 pm by Diakron »
Back to Mafia with me!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: DF+Dig Deeper+Bad **** computer= DF still Slow
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 01:50:59 pm »

Are there any building destroyers/flyers on map? Their broken pathfinding reduces FPS a lot.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 04:04:47 pm »

hes running a 64bit rig so his computer is emulating a 32bit so its really slow plus multicores are very bad running single thread but the i7 should be very good.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 04:49:28 pm »

hes running a 64bit rig so his computer is emulating a 32bit so its really slow plus multicores are very bad running single thread but the i7 should be very good.
Both false.
32-bit emulation in 64-bit environments can actually be faster than an identical rig running in true 32-bit under certain circumstances.
Multicore CPUs could care less about how many threads a particular program uses, in terms of speed.
The only noticeable difference you'll see is that it'll show up as 25% CPU usage on a quadcore instead of 100%, as in, it will top out only one of the four CPU graphs on the performance section of task manager.
That i7 might support Hyperthreading.  If you have 8 graphs on the aforementioned tab, that's your problem.  Hyperthreading is great...  for programs that use multiple threads.  Otherwise you'll essentially be halving your core clock.  Not so good for DF.
Personally using an i7-860 clocked at 3.02 GHz.  I could OC it to 3.6, maybe 4, if I wanted to.  I just don't really have a use for it.  My 6x6 maps already fly by at 200 FPS on embark...
The differences in architecture will actually make any of the iX series CPUs infinitely better than a Pentium 4 at identical clock speeds.
Beyond that, he already stated he has run the game under the same conditions (sans Dig Deeper) without fault.
Please don't make claims that are completely unfounded.

As for the actual problem...  HFS, building destroyers, and fliers all eat FPS like the gluttons they are.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 06:28:12 pm »

Pheasants  >:(

i modded them out and that worked

i7's have Hyperthread which runs on the principle of Double-Pumping (DDR SDRAM is the only other thing i know that uses it other then CPU's) so that just means it has 8 effective cores but it also has Quickboost which means if one program is demanding more then the core can support then it boost that core up. and i think DF is 64bit compatible.
Back to Mafia with me!

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 11:25:07 am »

about the hyperthreading for the i7, with intel's turbo boost and speedstep tech, your processor would only have one core active but all of the processor's power going into it so technically you should have only one core running but with a ridiculous amount of speed so no HT active.