Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Intermediate materials: metal or stone?  (Read 533 times)

deoxy

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert witty comment here.
    • View Profile
Intermediate materials: metal or stone?
« on: March 02, 2010, 10:22:26 pm »

I added a reaction chain to produce some better metals than steel, including one that is even a little better than Adamantine, though it's a major pain to make (that's on purpose).

Here's the problem: there are some things you have to make that are useless except to produce the final metal product, I don't want them to be useful for anything else (so I'd rather not make them stone - BRITTLE metal works), but I don't want you to be able to just trade for them (stone with no location would to that, but DEEP metal can do it, too)... but, if it's DEEP, then it gets a strong mood preference.  Since it's BRITTLE and has no listed mod, it gives 50% of iron for weapons and armor, not to mention that it's hard to get make, so I don't want them always wanting it once you've made just a little...

I'd make it an extract (for the ones you get from very long-growing plants), but you can't currently use extracts in reactions, so that's out.

Something like glass, ash, or coal (that is, not in the metal or stone categories at all) would be better, but I haven't seen a way to do that yet.

So, more experienced modders than myself... how do you handle a situation like that?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intermediate materials: metal or stone?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 11:08:15 pm »

You could make them toys; that is, a custom entry in the item_toy file that is not actually made by any entity (and thus nonexistant normally), which is then used as the reagent for another reaction. You would also probably want to make a custom material to make them out of, probably stone, so their name was exactly what you wanted it to be.

I'm not sure what exactly you're looking to make, but something like this:

Add to matgloss_stone_mineral:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And to item_toy:

And then you'll be able to make "purifying spheres" with a reaction product like this:

And use it in another reaction with a reagent line like this:

The "purifying spheres" are totally useless except for the reagent; they're classed as toys ingame so aren't useful for that reason, are 0-value so they're not useful as trade goods, and can't be turned into anything else, either. Easy.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

deoxy

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert witty comment here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 12:52:57 am »

You could make them toys; that is, a custom entry in the item_toy file that is not actually made by any entity (and thus nonexistant normally), which is then used as the reagent for another reaction. You would also probably want to make a custom material to make them out of, probably stone, so their name was exactly what you wanted it to be.

I'm not sure what exactly you're looking to make, but something like this:

Add to matgloss_stone_mineral:

And to item_toy:

And then you'll be able to make "purifying spheres" with a reaction product like this:

And use it in another reaction with a reagent line like this:

The "purifying spheres" are totally useless except for the reagent; they're classed as toys ingame so aren't useful for that reason, are 0-value so they're not useful as trade goods, and can't be turned into anything else, either. Easy.

Wow.  That is easy.

Thanks!

Edit:  you know, as I think about this, I'm surprised I didn't think of it myself, since I did almost that exact same thing to make training weapons (10% damage, all bludgeon, not produced by anyone, always made of "wooden" wood that doesn't grow anywhere, produced by reaction).  Huh.  Hadn't thought of using toys, though... that's a really useful little trick.  I can see myself using that quite a bit, actually!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 01:06:26 am by deoxy »

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 02:12:29 am »

Just make sure you don't sell them when you hurl the seasonal offerings at the caravan.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 12:27:35 am »

you throw your trade goods at the caravans?

that's mighty dwarfy of you
We are who we are, depending on who we were.