Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help me record sound with CamStudio, please?  (Read 3635 times)

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help me record sound with CamStudio, please?
« on: February 27, 2010, 02:19:32 am »

So lately I've been wanting to do a video Let's Play. Only problem is, I have no idea which program I should use. From what I've seen, most capture programs only record either speakers or microphone, not both. I can use Audacity to record my voice and the capture program to record my game+sounds.

I downloaded CamStudio to see what I could do, and it wont record sounds from my computer, only microphone. It says something like its missing a noise line or something.

Any help?

Edit: Changed title to accurately reflect my need.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 02:23:32 am by Manifold1 »

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
Re: Help me record sound with CamStudio, please?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 03:24:39 am »

Are you using a USB microphone/headset?
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 03:45:04 am »

Yes, but thats not the problem. Unless you're going somewhere else with this.

The problem is it wont record sound from the computer, not my headset.

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 04:44:19 am »

I am actually, as I've hit this same problem myself.

To record sound from the speakers, you have to record from the sound device they're hooked up to; i.e., the sound card. However, since you're talking into a mic, the primary sound device will be the USB headset and most audio programs only record from the primary device.

As I see it, there are three solutions to this problem:
1) Record commentary separately from gameplay.
2) Use a non-USB mic, if available.
3) Get a program which can record from a non-primary line.

#3 is obviously the best solution, but I haven't been able to find any freeware software that fits the bill. GoldWave has a trial version with a limitation of 2000 "actions" (I think), but once you get the hang of it you can setup, record and save a clip with just a handful of actions.

Now that I think about it, this is probably unrelated to your CamStudio problem, since the same thing happens to me even if I take the USB headset out of the equation. For audio recording and editing, I'd recommend Audacity, with VirtualDub for recording video and/or combining the video with audio. Be warned, as the latter's interface can be labyrithnine at first.
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

Teferi

• Bay Watcher
  • Planeswalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 12:09:40 pm »

Actually you also need to get Stereo Mix* as the default recording item

*Stereo Mix is also called "What you hear", etc.
I think it'd be better to just throw him in a pit.
By pit I mean "ledge designated as pit some 30 levels above the ground water magma" and that would,as they say be the end of that.
Unless a sword/axedwarf gets to 'em.. then it's rhesus pieces...