Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Somewhat distant future: Multiple forts, no starting civ  (Read 833 times)

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Somewhat distant future: Multiple forts, no starting civ
« on: November 23, 2007, 06:05:00 pm »

So perhaps you've played Sim City 4, or some other game where you can make a city or base etc in one location, then move to a different place on the world map and make another, and have the two react to each other. In Sim City this is just traffic and speed of growth, though.

Anyway, the idea would be to not force the player to abandon a fort - merely go back to the world map, or at least a list of started, not-abandoned forts, and play that one for a bit.
And then you could have trade deals between the two (or more) forts, for instance you might not have iron in one place but a lot of wood, or one fort might have a magma smelter and so can easily make goods from metal while another has... a lot of food? Whatever, you get the idea.

In this manner you could populate the map, over time - and thus the second part of topic title. No starting civs: as an option, you can turn off the AI-civilizations beyond the initial settler team. This could make things a bit more challenging since you'd have to arrange for wood caravans yourself.

The forts shouldn't be fully simulated when you're not controlling them of course, at most rudimentary stuff like food- and drink-producing capabilities balanced against consumption.

My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Wahnsinniger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Somewhat distant future: Multiple forts, no starting civ
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 07:29:00 pm »

Good idea, as this would actually give a reason do make "small" fortresses. Right now, its rather pointless to just try to make a small fortress which focuses on one thing, say Cutting lumber or mining and cutting gems. If you could 'not' abandon it, then you set it up so you could import these certain things into a bigger grander fortress.

Plus the whole idea of quitting a fortress but not abandoning it has been stated before. Its probably hard to conceptualize just how the game would handle it though. I think the ARCs which involve AI cities actually DOING stuff needs to be in first.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 12:41:00 am »

I imagine that the basics for this will go in along with population counting for entities.

[ November 24, 2007: Message edited by: Karlito ]

This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Balsis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 01:55:00 am »

This is something that's been on my mind, as well. You know how when you're choosing your starting location, you can choose which dwarven mountainhome you're from? I'd love to able to make a grand mountainhome, then in later games, choose to come from it.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 05:59:00 am »

Now that I've slept on the idea, I've got a bit of details:
Goblins and kobolds still exist, even with no starting civs turned on.
Immigrants still appear as if out of nowhere,
Wagon parts can be built(at the carpentry?), then built on the field much like siege engines, and have three options: Make/unmake settler team, Move goods to/from, and Embark.
If you make it a settler team, you get to assign 7 dwarves out of the ones you've got as well as goods. This would be different from the normal settler teams in that you get a much free-er choice of goods, but can't customize the dwarves at will, plus you have to provide all the stuff for the settler wagon yourself rather than it being given to you by the capital.
Normal caravans would just carry goods to and from a fort of your choosing. It'd require a driver, too.
Caravans will not return until you've traded with them in the other fort. Trading works as usual, sender gets the profit.

[ November 24, 2007: Message edited by: Align ]

My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Wahnsinniger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 09:15:00 am »

This could also be a way to control fortress populations. Too many immigrants? Just send them all out again to settle other lands. I'd prefer a simplier control, but making them emmigrate like this would work.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 09:24:00 am »

Good, I could send all those jew crafters and milkers and other useless people to haunted areas.

Second thought: If they survived, they would be totaly beasts.

ParrotPatrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2007, 10:17:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Zironic:
<STRONG>Good, I could send all those jew crafters and milkers and other useless people to haunted areas.

Second thought: If they survived, they would be totaly beasts.</STRONG>

"Jew" crafters?   :confused:

Retales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 01:30:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by ParrotPatrol:
<STRONG>

"Jew" crafters?    :confused:</STRONG>

*snark*

Yeah, it'd make more sense that the dwarves for example set up a smaller treecutting outpost at the base of the mountain to provide the bigger fort higher in the mountain with lumber.

Quote from: roundedge link=topic=27527.msg362681#msg362681
And so, little dwarfling if to mayor you rise
never forget to heed this advice
when it's items outdoors, no matter how small
remember remember to forbid them all.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

DrMorbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2007, 03:12:00 pm »

The only problem I see with multiple fortresses is how Toady would manage the passage of time.  When playing, time passes.  If you're playing one fortress then switch to another, what happens during that passage of time?

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2007, 03:47:00 pm »

Nothing.

You could say that dwarves don't accomplish anything without you managing them or just that you're going back in time or something...

ZrO4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2007, 06:23:00 pm »

quote:
You could say that dwarves don't accomplish anything without you managing them...  

True enough. I think a population stasis is the best thing otherwise forts would die off too quickly to allow others to be built.

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Ǵ̨̕o͘d͝d̡͢e̡̕s̷͟s̵͢ ͝of̴ ͡G͘͠a̧mi̶n̛͝g̨
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2007, 08:55:00 pm »

That's exactly what happens in Sim City 4. :3 Population stasis.
If I had a dollar for every dwarf whose feelings I didn't care about, I'd have seven dollars, with more coming in the fall.

Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

MULTI-THREADING - I'm talking about it!

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2007, 12:16:00 am »

Well, what happens to NPC created towns during the passage of time?  Whatever solution applies to NPCs would be the same for forts previously run by players.

mrshirt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2007, 11:13:00 am »

You could just auto run certain small fortresses, i'm sure.  Then, if a major event happened you could go back in time and deal with it yourself.

For example.  You have a large fort with many satellites down river.  Hypothetically, your main fort has crappy soil so can't make enough food or wood, so the other's could easily create a constant amount of either, since wood and food growth are predictable.  But, to prevent people from settling in extremely dangerous areas, if a major event happens before you would actually get a shipment, a messenger would come telling you about it, where you could take control of the small fort to resolve the issue, then you get so much wood/food as they would make post incident.

If that makes sense.