Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Engraving Factors  (Read 654 times)

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Engraving Factors
« on: March 01, 2010, 11:15:37 pm »

I am mostly curious as to what determines what will be engraved on a wall when ordered to do so....when a room is assigned to a dwarf will engravings only pertain to that dwarf or have a high chance of it?

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Engraving Factors
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 11:19:43 pm »

Nope. Its random, as far as I know.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Malsqueek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 12:06:13 am »

I do think the quality of the engraving determines whether you get a

-image of a cheeseburger-

or

*image of a 15 page story*

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 12:27:54 am »

Perhaps....heck I dont even know what makes something worthy of engraving by the system...there needs to be a system that could allow you to be more precise with engravings if you wanted (some set of options toggled in the ini or something)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 01:13:56 am »

Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 01:45:12 am »

Ah thank you very much for that...helps some

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 02:21:51 pm »

Well, in response to the original question, no, the owner of the room in question has NO impact on the engraving, generally speaking. 

If you have engravings of anything but the top two or three quality ranks, you will only get "shape" type engravings (the ones in the shape raw), or things that the engraver likes.

Engraver likes and dislikes (if they can be engraved - you can't engrave images of iron or microcline, but you can engrave trees or caps or animals) appear around 10% of the time.  Note that if an engraver puts up an engraving of something that the owner of the room DISLIKES (which is common if both engraver and room holder dislike the same creature), then the owner of that room will HATE their room from then on.

You can, however, get some engravings related to the likes of other dwarves.  I'm not sure about the mechanics of this, where if someone likes a given dwarf, or is close friends with them, they will engrave the things that dwarf likes (will show up as dwarf and whatever they like, typically these are animals, like a dwarf and their pets).  If they don't have anyone like this, this seems to default to the mayor, so you'll likely see alot of the mayor holding up kittens or goblets or whatever it is they like.  The owner of the room you are engraving has no impact on this, just who the engraver knows.  This only occurs about 5% of the time.

The VAST majority of your engravings of higher quality, however, are going to be "Dwarf History" - and unless you have plenty of historical events to flood them out, you're going to see the overwhelming majority of your engravings be the election of the mayor or the founding of your fortress.   These have nothing to do with the person's room, however.

My current theory regarding these histories is that there are a certain number of "history slots" that get defaulted to your founding and mayoral election.  In order to get other historical events to appear, you need to fill those slots - the more history, the more slots that used to have founding or mayor elections in them get supplanted by other things.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare