Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The most amazing outfit EVER. PERIOD.  (Read 2104 times)

Archmage Ansrit

• Bay Watcher
  • I crush -and blow up- stuff FOR JUSTICE!
    • View Profile
The most amazing outfit EVER. PERIOD.
« on: February 26, 2010, 11:54:26 pm »

Well, you see, Adamantine is an incredibly versatile material, you can make clothes out of it, you can make weapons and armor out of it...

Goal is: Make masterwork (or better!) items out of adamantine, no item is too samll to overlook: gloves, chainmail, plate. All are given the same consideration.

Problem is, getting the adamantine in the necesary ammounts and the skills to make every single piece of equipment. I might have to use Abandon Fortress, adventure Mode to carry the stuff somewhere else, die, embark, reclaim, make new stuff, lather, rinse, repeat.

Has anyone tried something this incredibly stupid awesome?
"The concept that a video game can be played in a manner that doesn't entail wasting time amuses me." -Squidhead, GameFAQs forums
Because dwarves are goddamned crazy.
So, basically, it is just a matter of luck whether you live or suffer horrible death... sounds like dwarf fortress.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The most amazing outfit EVER. PERIOD.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 12:01:22 am »

I feel more concerned that I should arm my soldiers with weapons so that horde of monsters about to cut my soldiers into sushi is taken down more than a dwarf walking around in clothes that could burn your eyes out with brightness

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 12:03:37 am »

Well, you see, Adamantine is an incredibly versatile material, you can make clothes out of it, you can make weapons and armor out of it...

Goal is: Make masterwork (or better!) items out of adamantine, no item is too samll to overlook: gloves, chainmail, plate. All are given the same consideration.

Problem is, getting the adamantine in the necesary ammounts and the skills to make every single piece of equipment. I might have to use Abandon Fortress, adventure Mode to carry the stuff somewhere else, die, embark, reclaim, make new stuff, lather, rinse, repeat.

I don't think this is that tricky unless you want every dwarf in the fortress clothed in this sort of garb. Incidentally, gloves, chain and platemail are some of the least likely items you'd end up overlooking - more prominent would be dresses, socks, caps, etc. The more mundane stuff.

Archmage Ansrit

• Bay Watcher
  • I crush -and blow up- stuff FOR JUSTICE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 12:09:30 am »

That's where the non-masterwork items go to, that or deliverately unlesh some monstrocity that was never meant to walk the Earth on my fortress.

The outfit is for an adventurer.

My concern is that I'm a (Dabbling Dungeon God), in only the second year of my first fortress, so I'm taking things slowly.

A really close second concern is to end up with a Headshoots-esque HolisticDetective-esque Champion, then the plan would get the axe, at least until death of old age comes or I manage to trap in a room of magma (I don't think I'm ready for that).

I don't think this is that tricky unless you want every dwarf in the fortress clothed in this sort of garb. Incidentally, gloves, chain and platemail are some of the least likely items you'd end up overlooking - more prominent would be dresses, socks, caps, etc. The more mundane stuff.
I meant that gloves/caps/etc would get the same consideration as plate.
"The concept that a video game can be played in a manner that doesn't entail wasting time amuses me." -Squidhead, GameFAQs forums
Because dwarves are goddamned crazy.
So, basically, it is just a matter of luck whether you live or suffer horrible death... sounds like dwarf fortress.

SirStrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 01:27:55 am »

I want to make 30 adamantium cloaks for my dungeon master to wear.

I bet he'll still find something to complain about though.

The Bismuth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 02:02:27 am »

Wouldn't an adamantium weave toupe still have the defensive modififcation, that adamantium gives to armour? If that's the case surely you should dress all your dwarfs top to toe in as much adamantium as you can.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 08:55:04 am »

wouldn't adamantine clothes get worn out, though?

seems a bit disappointing.

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 12:43:05 pm »

Yeah, I think Morul made a few full sets of masterwork adamantine everything, and the clothes definitely wore out after a while.  Very saddening.

Of course, with an adventurer, it would probably take long enough to wear out that you wouldn't notice.
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 11:49:42 am »

Harder challenge:
Do this, but every piece has to be an artifact.

Good luck.

At least you won't have any more problems with clothes wearing out.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 01:39:14 pm »

Hmm. I've managed to equip an adventurer with full masterwork adamantine gear, apart from the helmet. The fort project that created said gear is still ongoing, by way of training the weaponsmith further for a masterwork adamantine weapon of each kind, plus some bolts for throwing.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.