Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My worlds aren't saving!  (Read 827 times)

Tipo Fry

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
My worlds aren't saving!
« on: March 01, 2010, 04:41:02 pm »

I have the most recent version as of feb 29 (when i downloaded it), No mods are use.

Every time I restart dwarf fortress, the main menue doesn't have the 'play now' button.  I've saved my maps that were generated (or at least i think i did), which were put in a folder called 'region1', which i haven't been able to find.  I'm running it straight from the .rar file that i downloaded, so I don't know if that is the problem.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
Re: My worlds aren't saving!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 05:21:44 pm »

Saves should be in data>save, and you shouldn't have to move anything anywhere after map generation.  The main menu option you're looking for is "Start Playing," not "play now" ("Play now" pops up during embark),  and after you gen the map, make sure you hit Enter, not 'a'.

vv Oh, good catch, I missed that part.  vv
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 05:26:37 pm by nil »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My worlds aren't saving!
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 05:24:16 pm »

I'm running it straight from the .rar file that i downloaded, so I don't know if that is the problem.

You should, as a general rule, never do this with any program (except perhaps programs that never expect to read/write other files from their own directories).

If you do this, the program won't be able to place the save files anywhere sensible, because... well, there isn't anyplace; it's probably running from some temporary folder that was created when you opened the rar.

So basically, just unpack DF to some directory (shouldn't matter where) and run it from there.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==