Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problem creating (custom) glass blocks  (Read 896 times)

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Problem creating (custom) glass blocks
« on: February 27, 2010, 02:00:34 pm »

I have the following reaction and material in the appropriate files.

Reaction:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Material:

However, when I use the reaction it merely creates obsidian blocks, not obsidian glass blocks like I expect.  I can't tell what's wrong, does anybody else have any ideas?

This reaction and material is part of a larger obsidian mat/reaction mod available at http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=30214.0 if we need to check other materials and reactions.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 02:02:37 pm by j0nas »

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Problem creating (custom) glass blocks
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 02:17:11 pm »

The GLASS tag exists for no reason other than to determine which glosses are valid for use in making crystal glass. It doesn't make the gloss itself glasslike at all on its own.

[GEM:obsidian:STP]

You're making gem blocks as far as I can see. When you make a gem matgloss, you're just saying "instead of this tile dropping rocks, I want it to drop gems that are named as such, valued as such..." and so on. It's possible that the game's grabbing the gem properties thinking that they're the valid part. Change "obsidian" to "obsidian glass" and see what happens.

Even if you do do this, you'll likely need more reactions in order to turn the blocks into anything - they shouldn't be glass as such, as I mentioned previously, and nobody knows what to do with a gem block.

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 02:33:42 pm »

Yes, right, glass items are made from raw sand, aren't they?  I didn't think of that.

All I was looking for in this case was just making glass blocks for immediate use, and making the gem tag obsidian glass like you suggested worked, and removing the gem tag entirely also worked.  Good call, thanks for the quick reply.

For reactions such as:
...to work, I will still need the gem tag, right?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 02:36:01 pm »

I wouldn't like to try to produce that without it.