Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How did this happen? Quantum Cage (filed with seeds, not animals)  (Read 821 times)

DarkDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok, I just found something odd in my fort.

I started getting messages from my farmers complaining they didn't have seeds to plant the crops. I'm confused, since I've forbidden plump helmets from cooking for the sheer purpose of producing tons and tons of crops with them.

So I was looking around my zoo for the hell of it when I noticed one of my cages contained 3 mountain goats, 14 pages of plump helmet spawn, and about 2 pages of fish bones and shells (turtle and cave lobster).

WTF? How did this happen?

I deconstructed the cage and I THINK my dwarves are taking seeds out of it now, but I can't be sure. Any way I can get them to put those seeds back int he stockpiles where they belong?

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: How did this happen? Quantum Cage (filed with seeds, not animals)
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 07:07:05 pm »

When the trainer trains an animal, they use meat/fish/plant to feed the animal to train it. The leftovers are left IN the cage. You have do designate everything inside to dump, I think.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 07:07:48 pm »

new forum meme: "Pack Goat."
ex: Don't be a Pack Goat, Karnewarrior, you have more than enough magma alre- OH MY GOD IT BURNS!
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

DarkDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 07:21:35 pm »

Does it really take 240 plump helmets (and assorted fish) to tame 3 mountain goats?

Or am I mistaken int he way animals work and they actually DO feed the ones in cages? I thought animals in general didn't eat your food.

Just checked and yep, they're still adding to it. This cage weighs 1908 in whatever units the game measures weight in.

Insane.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 08:30:15 pm »

i had this happen with taming camels. i think that if they get the task: tame animal" cancelled, the food remains stay there, but the animal remains untamed.
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 08:31:16 pm »

Animals don't eat, and anyway I thought they just used a piece of food at the kennel to tame an animal.  Maybe they somehow got a bag or container in there and they keep trying to put stuff in it?  I don't know, containers are horribly buggy anyway. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

DarkDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 09:11:43 pm »

Animals don't eat, and anyway I thought they just used a piece of food at the kennel to tame an animal.  Maybe they somehow got a bag or container in there and they keep trying to put stuff in it?  I don't know, containers are horribly buggy anyway. 

Nope, no other container in there.

I released the goats from the cages, then started getting spam about "unable to train animal: animal not restrained"

WTF? I've never had to restrain an animal to train it before. And these are already TAME goats.

Screw these goats, I'm gonna throw the lot of em into the magma. So much for my war-goat plan.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 09:22:54 pm »

Most likely, you chose to Tame a Large Animal and then set it to repeat to speed things up.

That results in the same animal being tamed an infinite number of times rather than taming every available animal of that type. It's a fairly easy way to get a Legendary Animal Trainer if you want one, but isn't actually useful for anything else.

DarkDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 10:15:02 pm »

Most likely, you chose to Tame a Large Animal and then set it to repeat to speed things up.

That results in the same animal being tamed an infinite number of times rather than taming every available animal of that type. It's a fairly easy way to get a Legendary Animal Trainer if you want one, but isn't actually useful for anything else.

I think you're right. That's an annoying bug. Good to know, thanks.