Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: megabeast taming.  (Read 674 times)

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
megabeast taming.
« on: February 26, 2010, 05:04:12 am »

I have a question. How does one tell, short of savescumming and looking through legends, whether or not a captured megabeast or semi-megabeast is tameable? Does the number of names given to it suggest tameability?
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

DarkDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: megabeast taming.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 10:16:00 am »

In my experience it only matters if it killed one of YOUR dwarves. I tamed a dragon that had killed members of my civ before, but it didn't manage to kill any of the dwarves at my fort before it was caught in a trap, so it was tameable.

Also, some megabeasts are NOT tameable, regardless. Like titans.

That is, unless you mod the raws.

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 10:27:56 am »

ah. I see. Thankyou, then. So my dungeon master can now have a pet hydra to play with. . . I can check whether or not it killed one of my own from looking at its' profile? Just to be sure. I've no engravings of the hydra killing any of mine, unlike the caged GCS in my artifact cage that features prominently in fortress engravings...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 10:36:56 am by stormyseasons »
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

DarkDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 10:44:38 am »

I don't think it shows in its profile. Best to station some military around the cage before you release it, and use a lever to release it after its been tamed, just in case.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 10:49:12 am »

If a dragon or hydra killed members of your civ during worldgen, it might be harmless to your citizens but suddenly decide to eat your Liaison (or, worse yet, your King) for lunch.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 10:55:56 am »

If a dragon or hydra killed members of your civ during worldgen, it might be harmless to your citizens but suddenly decide to eat your Liaison (or, worse yet, your King) for lunch.

I honestly did not know that.

So a megabeast that becomes an enemy of your civ in worldgen will kill historical figures of that civ in Fortress Mode? That is awesome. I wonder if it works on the Elven diplomat...
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!