Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Underground Roads  (Read 2191 times)

Pathos

Underground Roads
« on: February 18, 2010, 02:47:04 pm »

Damn it, is it possible to get out of these? I think I'm stuck. =/

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Underground Roads
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 02:48:15 pm »

Yeah, you can either go back or follow it to it's end.

You will, however, have to have a lot of food and water.

If you are starving or dehydrated, you can eat vomit/blood off of you, but you'll still probably die of dehydration without water.  Good luck  ;)
Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 02:52:21 pm »

I've never found one of these roads myself, even after specifically searching for them. Even if I did though, I doubt there's much to gain by following them.

Pathos

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 03:12:50 pm »

I've never found one of these roads myself, even after specifically searching for them. Even if I did though, I doubt there's much to gain by following them.

Well, I've just been burnt to a crisp by a wall of lava. I think it must've activated the fluids when I entered the area and it flowed after me. =(

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 03:56:10 pm »

Hey...you can't embark on underground roads without embark anywhere right? Maybe you could make reststops in them or something.

Abaddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 11:30:09 am »

I found one once while embarking on top of a hostile fortress, it ran under it and off the map, I imagine it led to other hostile fortresses.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 07:45:22 am »

there are friendly roads too.

you can see them going between fortresses in DF mode. scout for them in the "local" section and you'll know where to send your adventurer next. good luck! (not sure if you can see goblin roads but dwarven roads? hell yeah)
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 03:03:19 pm »

You may also "dig" out in adventure mode via tweak and tile edit. You'll have to be careful and place up/down stairs very carefully. However, you might end up in the middle of a large mountain range where travel is not possible. Even then, it would give you an idea of where you are on the world map though.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:moustache] Steam ID: TheHengeProphet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 06:52:52 am »

If you are too far into the underground road, you may have to continue until you find a chasm.

DO NOT JUMP INTO THE CHASM!

When you reach a chasm, stand on the center of the bridge and check the (W)eather. If it gives you weather information (not "There is no semblance of sunlight here"), (T)ravel. This should work. It has worked with every surface-exposed chasm I have ever found while traversing the depths. I only survived because I raided a town for food and filled my backpack with water before doing so...

I hope this helps.
Dev-status:
Drakelings: Dev halted indefinitely.
Illithids: Dev halted indefinitely.

Foehamster

• Bay Watcher
  • Zig Frostrushes The Speachless Eater of Saints
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 02:17:04 pm »

If you reach a chasm without a bridge you need to backtrack.  Oh, and you could probably use tweak to cheat some water for yourself (I've only experimented with tweak in fortress mode).

Usually the roads go between fortresses of the same civ, but I've seen one go from a goblin to a dwarf city.  In legends the goblins took the dwarven city, built the road and then the dwarves retook it.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 02:42:56 pm »

I once reached the town at the other end of hte chasm...

upon arriving, the stairs collapsed.

If this happens to you, never fear! you cannot travel, but you can still retire.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]