Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Catsplosion, Misinformation's greatest accomplishment??  (Read 2856 times)

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Catsplosion, Misinformation's greatest accomplishment??
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2010, 04:22:29 am »

I'm surprised and disappointed nobody has mentioned the true dwarven solution to too many cats, known as the thermonuclear catsplosion..

[HOMEOTHERM] is the relevant tag, right?
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2010, 11:25:16 am »

For a less dwarfy (and less fortress-ending) raw solution to catsplosion, give them a the [AQUATIC] tag. They'll airdrown very quickly. Keep a few in a cage to reboot the population, then lock up your crazy cat lady dwarf because he/she will tantrum very fast. Losing 20 cats at once can do that.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2010, 11:42:01 am »

You can also give them [MAXAGE:3:6] so that they all die sometime between the ages of 3 and 6.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2010, 11:46:14 am »

Doesn't caging kittens upon birth eliminate the need for any of this, though?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2010, 11:53:18 am »

Provided you have dwarves who can cage them almost immediatly upon their birth, yes.  If nobody gets around to it in time, they may latch onto a crazy cat lady before they can be caged.

Also, even caged animals take up some resources...  And even dead cats fill up your units screen with spam.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2010, 11:56:21 am »

I've gotten back to back "Urist McCat has given birth to kittens." and "Urist McFastKitten has adopted Urist McLovesCatsForTheirAloofness." Sometimes you can cage them. Other times, you have to kill them.

One very interesting solution is to use pathing designations to build animal execution paths. Dig a tunnel with a longer, secondary route, and designate the shorter path as restricted. Animals ignore traffic designations, so if you put repeater spikes on the shorter path you should slowly kill off your entire fort's population of animals. It doesn't discriminate though, tame dogs, cows, horses, cats, etc will all be skewered.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2010, 12:02:52 pm »

Actually, I find just setting doors as non-pet-passible will do plenty...

Make a spiked hallway with a lever (linked to nothing)at the other end of it, and a door at the other end.  Make that lever only pullable by the specific dwarf with too many cats, and queue a lever pulling.  Then, when they go in to pull that lever, set the door as not being pet-passable, so that most, if not all, of the cats get trapped, and spiked when you have the dwarf then pull the spiking lever repeatedly.  (It's extra cruel when you have dwarves go insane from killing their own loved ones.) 

If you're certain the crazy cat dwarf will go crazy, and want to kill them, too, just make it a magma/drowning chamber.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

LoneJedi7

• Bay Watcher
  • The CaKE is A LIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2010, 10:54:10 pm »

I'm surprised and disappointed nobody has mentioned the true dwarven solution to too many cats, known as the thermonuclear catsplosion..

[HOMEOTHERM] is the relevant tag, right?
the best part about the thermonuclear catsplosion is that they dont explode if they're in a cage..........you know what im thinking.   place cages throughout the map, put cats in them, link to levers, mod cats temperature.........you now have cat-mines.
ℍ!Ξ[/[Θ]![ℍ∑▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2010, 01:40:30 am »

you mean to say that they will happily live their lives in a cage not exploding until the moment they're let out of the cage?

if so, you may be the single best person in the world for coming up with that idea.
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

Lonewolf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Feral Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2010, 03:53:58 am »

71 wolves, no big deal, the FPS is almost the same. After giving them the vermin hunter tag, however, the frame rate got considerably reduced.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2010, 04:07:13 am »

I wonder, if the cats' [PREFSTRING] is removed, if dwarves will not have a preference for them, or if they'll just 'like cats'. If the former, this may be another weapon from the raws in our battle against the furry menace.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2010, 08:59:25 am »

IN REPLY TO THE CAT CAGERS

You don't need to cage the cats to prevent adoption. The cat has to interract with the dwarf to adopt him. If you get someone who doesn't like cats to throw them in a 1x1 pit then they will not adopt anyone ever.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

HOWEVER I have had the misfortune of having a caged animal wash away into a watery pit, one that was close to impossible to drain. THIS animal was adopted and the owner spammed me with messages that she couldnt reach the animal. So remember! Pit your animals!
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

TheWealthyAardvark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2010, 01:32:59 pm »

Your spam there would appear to be bug #000957.

EDIT:  "Now that I've checked out that thread, let's see what else is new. What's this? A thread about Announcement Spam? And Aspgren has posted it in, acknowledging that this is very bug?"  *facepalm*
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 01:36:53 pm by TheWealthyAardvark »
Quick, somebody who can pretend they know with a reasonable degree of believability hop in and act like they do!
You fucking rang?
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.

LoneJedi7

• Bay Watcher
  • The CaKE is A LIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2010, 03:30:25 pm »

you mean to say that they will happily live their lives in a cage not exploding until the moment they're let out of the cage?

if so, you may be the single best person in the world for coming up with that idea.
Thats exactly what i mean to say. and while i appreciate the kind words, im not the originator of the idea, someone beat me to it.
ℍ!Ξ[/[Θ]![ℍ∑▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2010, 05:25:59 pm »

Your spam there would appear to be bug #000957.

EDIT:  "Now that I've checked out that thread, let's see what else is new. What's this? A thread about Announcement Spam? And Aspgren has posted it in, acknowledging that this is very bug?"  *facepalm*

Yes. Yes I have.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.
Pages: 1 [2]