Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Interface : Season Stop ?  (Read 734 times)

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Interface : Season Stop ?
« on: August 30, 2006, 02:08:00 am »

Would it be possible/interesting to make a break (or pause the game)every change of season ? (For exemple in the same way you zoom on dwarf when it has found a new ore type, or when new immigrants are coming)

I do quite like to give my order, and late the game run a bit, and then go back to it. Having the season break would be quite usefull to play in this way.

Unless it is already there and I have never noticed... But I don't think so.

[ August 30, 2006: Message edited by: flap ]

[ August 31, 2006: Message edited by: flap ]

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Interface : Season Stop ?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 02:10:00 am »

Pre-defined seasonal pauses (breaks = used by dwarves in-game to get off of work. pause = game time freezes) would definitely be nice for the "Set a whole bunch of orders and let the game go" player.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 02:45:00 am »

Hmm...  in the long run, there could be a whole host of options for such players, down to a whole 'automatic pauses...' section of the option menu:

* An option for some sort of sound when the game is paused, to attract the player's attention if they're reading a book or something.

* An option to disable pauses entirely.  I recall someone requesting this at one point...

* Options to pause the game under the following circumstances:
- When one of your dwarves dies.
- When a friendly creature of any sort dies (excluding creatures the player marked to be butchered!)
- When a dwarf throws a tantrum.
- Any other major, message-causing dwarf mood-shifts (Most of them already get pauses...)
- When some new person arrives at the fortress (immigrants, merchants, etc.)
- When a creature gets angry.
- When a noble makes a new demand.

For the seasons, it would be nice to also have an option to only pause at the end of winter...  that's the only season that will, every time, require action from your typical player, since the farms need to be reset.  Most players will probably also want to reassign their farmers at the start of winter, although once job priorities are in that hopefully won't be necessary any more.

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 03:07:00 am »

It is quite interesting to watch how originaly simplistic ideas tend to grow, grow, grow...

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 10:54:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Aquillion:
<STRONG>Hmm...  in the long run, there could be a whole host of options for such players, down to a whole 'automatic pauses...' section of the option menu:

* An option for some sort of sound when the game is paused, to attract the player's attention if they're reading a book or something.

* An option to disable pauses entirely.  I recall someone requesting this at one point...

* Options to pause the game under the following circumstances:
- When one of your dwarves dies.
- When a friendly creature of any sort dies (excluding creatures the player marked to be butchered!)
- When a dwarf throws a tantrum.
- Any other major, message-causing dwarf mood-shifts (Most of them already get pauses...)
- When some new person arrives at the fortress (immigrants, merchants, etc.)
- When a creature gets angry.
- When a noble makes a new demand.

For the seasons, it would be nice to also have an option to only pause at the end of winter...  that's the only season that will, every time, require action from your typical player, since the farms need to be reset.  Most players will probably also want to reassign their farmers at the start of winter, although once job priorities are in that hopefully won't be necessary any more.</STRONG>

Ah, I suggested something similar without knowing it had already been expressed. Yes, a configurable auto-pause feature would really make the game more playable for me; what with college starting back up for me it is hard to justify spending hours intently monitoring my dwarves, but I would enjoy being able to basically play the game one "turn" at a time, coming back to make a decision every once and a while. (Sort of like a self-addressed play-by-email game, I guess?)

Silveron

• Bay Watcher
  • Arichect of Destruction
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 11:06:00 pm »

I would definitely use the Spring Season Pause feature.