Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: it's simple, really.  (Read 1260 times)

dwemer|ruins

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Sasquatch with a top hat.
    • View Profile
it's simple, really.
« on: February 24, 2010, 07:58:29 am »

I would just like to start off by stating the obvious: DF is the best game of all time. I'm sure all of you are gleefully aware of this. ;)

The true reason for this topic is simple, to express thanks for all the hard work that is put into this game by the DevTeam. Your work is genius, and I for one appreciate it.

My friends and I used to sit around and dream up games that only had half as much detail as DF. We would discuss what it would be like to kind-of live another life in a video game. Although you are only controlling the actions of the dwarfs and not directly controlling them, I feel that DF comes the closest any game has come before to truly being another world inside your computer. Obviously, there have been many greats, (the Ultima series and various roguelikes come to mind), but come on. DF is king. I've recommended this game to many people, and I will continue to do so. It's something I believe everyone should get the opportunity to try, even if 95% of people quit within an hour of play.  :D

Lastly, the community for this game is outstanding. The learning curve for this game is obviously a brick wall for some, and it's great to have so many helpful people out there that are willing to answer questions.

Anyway, I just wanted to put my thoughts out there. DF is teh 1337!!!!!!!!11

Mapleleaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: it's simple, really.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 08:09:36 am »

Totally agreed.

And I think the learning curve is part of what makes the community so cool. The people on the forums are all people that have bested this learning curve, that automatically love this game. There is no such thing as 'liking' DF, like ordinary games. You either love it or you don't, no "i dont actually like it that much" people here :p

spokehedz

• Bay Watcher
  • Boy Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 12:04:53 pm »

Totally agreed.

And I think the learning curve is part of what makes the community so cool. The people on the forums are all people that have bested this learning curve, that automatically love this game. There is no such thing as 'liking' DF, like ordinary games. You either love it or you don't, no "i dont actually like it that much" people here :p
thirded... The high learning curve makes all the muggles give up after a couple of tries, and then when i show them my fortress where everydwarf is working at his/her job to make a gigantic statue of [redacted] as my megaproject...

The looks of awe are inspiring, to say the least.
Quote from: LordBaxter
Once a stair fell, and rather than knock him one or two z levels down, as usually was the case, he went rolling down the central staircase, hit the bottom and exploded.

The Eviscerator of Gods

• Bay Watcher
  • Britannia's finest* paladin**
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 12:14:41 pm »

I like DF, how about that?
Tom Cruise never had sex w/ his wife that baby's an alien from Xenu.

Rystic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 01:24:18 pm »

The true reason for this topic is simple, to express thanks for all the hard work that is put into this game by the DevTeam. Your work is genius, and I for one appreciate it.

The DevTeam is just Toady. This whole game was programmed by one man hero.
A sturdy creature, fond of drink and industry.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 01:37:02 pm »

Probably in agreement? I just spent 20 minutes reading a Gamespy thread on their Star Trek Online review...(because I like inflicting pain and discomfort on myself)....and it reminded me that gamers will never agree on anything in totality.

So DF is awesome, I'll go with that. And Toady is a ****ing hero.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

dwemer|ruins

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Sasquatch with a top hat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 02:14:13 pm »

Correction: Toady the one-man devteam/wonder/hero/genius

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 02:30:15 pm »

Let's not forget ThreeToe here.
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 05:00:23 pm »

No ThreeToe, no release until 2013. He's important for getting DF off the drawing board and onto our waiting computers.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.