Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modding intelligent creatures as pets?  (Read 925 times)

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
Modding intelligent creatures as pets?
« on: February 22, 2010, 05:46:33 pm »

I decided to add the PET_EXOTIC and TRAINABLE tags to the humanoid denizens of an underground river since they weren't particularly valuable to me otherwise when they fell into a cage trap, and the idea of having Snakemen defending my fort is just cool. The 'maiden voyage' test went off fairly smoothly (though the subject suffered some injuries from a champion before getting caged)... the only problem is that now he's getting thirsty and won't drink from the rivers, my wells, etc.

I can only assume that this is due to his Intelligent tag and I'm wondering what I can do to keep him from dying, without turning him into a fanged, scaled dog.

On an unrelated note, he also regards deep water as 'dangerous terrain' despite being amphibious and I'd like to know if there's a way to fix that as well.

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
Re: Modding intelligent creatures as pets?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 05:55:57 pm »

Sorry, but the answer is no to both. Slavery hasn't been fully implemented yet, and there is no pathing for intelligent flyers or amphibians, despite the idea of having snakemen slaves mining out your river tunnel being incredibly cool.
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 01:40:24 am »

Unfortunate. Though I was thinking of a Snakeman with a Spear, drilling the troops before a siege.

SSSSSPARTANSS!! WHAT ISSSYOUR PROFESSSSION?

Dwarf Companion could help, right? The dwarves even gave him a name before he was tamed, so I feel bad letting him die after all this, and of thirst of all things.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 01:56:24 am »

Sorry, but the answer is no to both. Slavery hasn't been fully implemented yet, and there is no pathing for intelligent flyers or amphibians, despite the idea of having snakemen slaves mining out your river tunnel being incredibly cool.
what about the slavery/civ changer util that was recently made it also makes heroes, nobles, children, normal pets do jobs by 'stealing' them and converting them to miners. so far the only thing I ask you not to do is swap civs when you stole savage creatures they tend to be attacked by the other civ and lead to all your caveswallowmen slaughtered.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 04:08:07 am »

You could prevent them from starving and dehydrating with NOEAT and NODRINK.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"