Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New user interface  (Read 806 times)

Checkoh

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
New user interface
« on: February 23, 2010, 10:55:48 am »

I would like to talk about the user interface, there could be a few tweaks to improve it, making it more user friendly.

Oblig. Disclaimer: if there's another thread talking about this, please point it to me, I am new here, tried searching but didn't find anything.

Instead of having several tile interaction actions (k,q,v,etc) merge them in a single action, let's say q, you press q and switch to tile navigation (which could probably be the default, very intuitive, like pointing with the mouse) the side menu will have the actions (with shortcuts) for the tile, enabled/disabled where applicable.

For example, you press q, start moving around, your pointer is in a tile with a single object, the side menu will have v) view q) query.

With tiles with several objects, the side menu could show the items, just as it is right now, allowing the user to select an object with the secondary scroll keys, after pressing enter the item interaction menu will be displayed.

In other words, I'm aiming towards a natural interface following the modern interface guidelines, you point something you click it, you get a context menu. (instead of having different mouse modes, and having to switch between before clicking)

Another thing about the interface I'd tweak, is when browsing units in the unit menu, viewing a unit and closing the unit view menu, it would be handy to return to the unit menu just as it was when you left it. (this applies to some other areas as well)

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New user interface
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 12:52:13 pm »

user interface has been discussed in a great deal here:

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=34949.0