Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: The most Dwarvenly number  (Read 3577 times)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: The most Dwarvenly number
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2010, 03:38:53 pm »

You heretics. It's gotta be 6. 6 is the number of sides of the shape that composes the dwarf fortress universe, and everything within it. The cube and the cuboid are the indivisible atoms that were there at the dawn of creation. You talk of "7 depths of magma", but what you don't appreciate is that you are referring to 7 cuboid, stacked upon each other, to form a cube of magma.

As you add more magma to a tile, it tends towards a cube. Cubes have 6 sides. Magma is the most awesome thing ever. Hence, cubes are the most awesome number.
I agree the cube is the most dwarven shape, but the number of sides in a cube is not 6, it is in fact 7 as well! Leftside rightside upside downside backside frontside and inside!
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2010, 03:41:02 pm »

8 if you count outside?
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2010, 04:57:20 pm »

The first 6 sides consists the entire outside. Fingers vs. hands. The inside on the other hand is a completely different side, not even overlaping .
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2010, 06:17:09 pm »

The inside isn't a "side". A "side" is a face, it's a two-dimensional area. The inside is volume.

So... no, there are not 7 sides to a cube, and the inside is not a "side". Jeez. I don't know how you can even think of a face of a cube as being analogous to its volume.

Although, yes, a face of a cube does "overlap" its volume (well, that's not even a valid term to use, but you're not using very valid geometrical logic to begin with): The faces are the outermost cross-sections of its volume.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2010, 06:22:13 pm »

(It's suposed to be funny. YOu just ruined the joke.)
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2010, 06:32:41 pm »

The inside isn't a "side". A "side" is a face, it's a two-dimensional area. The inside is volume.

So... no, there are not 7 sides to a cube, and the inside is not a "side". Jeez. I don't know how you can even think of a face of a cube as being analogous to its volume.

Although, yes, a face of a cube does "overlap" its volume (well, that's not even a valid term to use, but you're not using very valid geometrical logic to begin with): The faces are the outermost cross-sections of its volume.

It's called a joke man. Learn to recognize one.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2010, 11:34:53 pm »

You're expecting me to be able to tell when Armok is not making sense intentionally?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

The Eviscerator of Gods

• Bay Watcher
  • Britannia's finest* paladin**
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2010, 01:05:50 am »

Seven the number of the dwarf because of the seven famous dwarves: Sleepy, Angry, High, Dogwood, Cattleberch, Hobo Beggins, and Knife Wrench! (for kids)
Tom Cruise never had sex w/ his wife that baby's an alien from Xenu.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2010, 11:33:40 am »

7 because that is for the starting 7 and the depth of fluids on a single z-level.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2010, 12:14:32 pm »

You realize now we're going to need to make a fort that has as many 7s as possible in it, right?

(7 dwarves, 7 depots, 7 statues, 7 bars of 7 metals, 7 dining rooms...)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2010, 12:51:03 pm »

7 magma pipes. I dare you.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

HonkyPunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2010, 12:53:29 pm »

Because that's how many dwarves will ultimately survive your inept fortress handling.
nobody of great interest

i have a crap tumblr page. i usually post art but my scanner is down. http://www.tumblr.com/blog/heygofuckadog

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2010, 02:42:21 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 12:33:55 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2010, 02:45:43 pm »

69 because of that was my population of dwarves that for a total of one year they had 20 marriages and 30 babies!

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2010, 03:25:47 pm »

7 magma pipes. I dare you.

Oh god the fire imps.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.
Pages: 1 2 [3]