Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tree-specific reactions + racegloss = "Random" LOOT?  (Read 869 times)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Tree-specific reactions + racegloss = "Random" LOOT?
« on: February 22, 2010, 02:18:29 am »

So it is possible to require wood of a specific tree in smelter reactions.
ITEMCORPSE cannot drop random things.

THis leads me to ask: how does the race matgloss thing work?
What can be dropped from Racegloss? Just wood? Just wood from the default file?

I know this adds a step in the looting, and I know it can't be used in Adventure mode, but it does allow the easy storing of "loot" (pre-processing) and the "randomization" of what the critters have inside 'em.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tree-specific reactions + racegloss = "Random" LOOT?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 02:37:03 am »

The raceglosses can include any wood, any metal, any stone, or any plant.

When a creature with a racegloss spawns, the game chooses an appropriate material from the appropriate list. The creature is then labeled appropriately; for instance, in Relentless Assault you can encounter Tower Cap Treant Wrestlers and Ashen Treant Crossbowmen. I also at one point gave orcs RACEGLOSS:METAL, and would have things like adamantine, rose gold, and bismuth orcs show up as well as other, less exotic metals. It does appear to be completely random, though, so I guess you could do a sort of random loot system... Hmm...

Y'know... You could give a race one of the matglosses, for instance stone goblins, make a special "toy" called, say, "goblin loot sack," then give the creature ITEMCORPSE:TOY:LOOT_SACK_GOBLIN:STONE:USE_RACEGLOSS, then make a number of custom reactions that each turned a specific variety of loot sack (material and race) to generate a specific set of loots. You could even have every smelted "goblin loot sack" generate a goblin skull and 6 goblin skulls so it's truly like they're just carrying something extra.

...Although since it's been confirmed, both by testing and by Toady, that smelter products' first numerical value is a %chance of getting that item, so you could just do random minor loot that way, too. Major loot, like abnormally-powerful weapons that you normally can't produce, would probably be too powerful to have even a 1% chance of getting them be balanced.

Now I'm confusing myself. I need sleep  :-[
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 06:00:10 am »

The raceglosses can include any wood, any metal, any stone, or any plant.

When a creature with a racegloss spawns, the game chooses an appropriate material from the appropriate list.

ok. I follow you partway. But what are the "appropriate lists" you can choose from? Must it be ALL stones?

ie. does saying ":STONE:USE_RACEGLOSS" mean that it uses all stones from any raw file? or only the ones in "matgloss_stone_xxx.txt" files? (like, if you had a matgloss file called rocks_i_made.txt, with stones in it, would those get used?).

Also, how does this work for stones? I know that you can smelt "stone" versions of the gemstones if you mishandle the format for their creation, so I am curious how RACEGLOSS handles them. (Plants are another matter entirely, since I know that they are weirdweirdweird, and still easy to screw up even after Toady cleaned up the worst of it)

The wiki is very closedmouthed about how RACEGLOSS works. Sorry if it's in there somewhere (or in the forums somewhere), but I could not find it. I knew people have worked it out, since stuff like the Treants exist, I just couldn't find any relevant discussions.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 11:15:33 am »

I've not tried the stone or plant raceglosses, myself, but the metal and wood ones appear to pick a random one from among all the metals and woods, respectively. It might not choose materials in a modded-in matgloss, as I haven't tested that myself, but I wouldn't count on it.

I would guess that gems are a seperate type than real stones, since they're treated differently for most everything else. Again, I don't know that for certain. I think people simply haven't used the plant or stone raceglosses, since there's relatively few things that would be appropriate to be named after plants or every stone. Do some testing, I guess? If you mod elves or humans to have a racegloss, it should be easy to tell what various things do (dwarves' race is usually hidden AFAIK, so they might not be ideal).
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!