Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: More kills than Tholtig [MEGAPROJECT IDEA]  (Read 2590 times)

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: More kills than Tholtig [MEGAPROJECT IDEA]
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2010, 12:22:23 pm »

Build a Colosseum and have several champions compete for this great honour. Since you have many champions and can afford to lose some of them. You don't need to make the challenges safe. Leave their opponents fully armed, give them multiple opponents at once. Reward the champions with better equipment and accommodations based on their arena performances.

For bonus points, arm your champions with hammers and suspend the fighting arena over a magma pit. If a champion is too badly wounded to continue participating in the competition, give him a worthy end by dropping the platform into the magma.

Simply having a high number of kills is not enough. Tholtig was fighting entire sieges single-handedly, against bow-happy elves no less.
Graphical Overhaul 0.31 DFFD | Bundle |  Thread (beta3)
Raw Patcher DFFD  | Thread (1.0)
Graphical Overhaul 40d DFFD | Bundle
ASCII Tileset 40d DFFD  | Thread (2.0)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2010, 12:33:57 pm »

Simply having a high number of kills is not enough. Tholtig was fighting entire sieges single-handedly, against bow-happy elves no less.

Plus she had an epic history, epic family... in this case, just getting the higher kill-count than Her won't do.

But good luck with your megaproject :D
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2010, 12:35:43 pm »

who is tholtig?

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
SigFlags!
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2010, 01:32:02 pm »

so its a dwarf that has Epic stats, a shitload of elven kills and whatever god may know and is a king?  im not fascinated

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2010, 03:09:16 pm »

so its a dwarf that has Epic stats, a shitload of elven kills and whatever god may know and is a king?  im not fascinated
I'm.. I'm at a loss for words...
Someone please scold him while go lie down!
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2010, 04:04:42 pm »

Im not fascinated by your capitilization skills.
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2010, 04:49:33 pm »

I need to capitalize better? Is that all?
Dunno but Tholtig doesn't fascinate me as much as Morul,Ironblood or Cacame

purplearcanist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2010, 05:11:29 pm »

My champion has started on her path to awesomeness. I have assigned her to bookeeper duty, at the entrance (any incoming kobolds will be seen by her.  Hopefully, this can give a massive boost to her stats (is there any skill that levels faster than bookkeeping?).  This has paid off in blood, as she killed two kobolds that foolishly tried to steal stuff. 

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2010, 05:28:50 pm »

Pumping air with a Screw pump.

Digging in a soil hill.

*thinks*

I remember there was some training and 'leveling-up' guide on the wiki.
SigFlags!

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2010, 05:41:53 pm »

You're planning to accumulate kills in a controlled environment and you think he'd be comparable to Tholtig?
You obviously don't get the idea of this project. It's not about being "better" than Tholtig. If you would actually read the opening post, you'll see that there is not a single phrase indicating something about being "better" than Tholtig.
It's about getting more kills. Nothing more, nothing less.

Asteranx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2010, 11:24:13 pm »

You're planning to accumulate kills in a controlled environment and you think he'd be comparable to Tholtig?
You obviously don't get the idea of this project. It's not about being "better" than Tholtig. If you would actually read the opening post, you'll see that there is not a single phrase indicating something about being "better" than Tholtig.

Let's recall, Tholtig wasn't an in-game dwarf - she was a historical figure that got produced during Worldgen.  There's no telling whether or not it's even _possible_ to accomplish what she did during gameplay.  As has been pointed out, the chances of a random stray arrow doing critical damage in game are fairly high over such a long history.  I'm going to go ahead and suggest that the combat calculations are vastly simplified during worldgen, which likely contributes to careers like this.

Still, it's certainly an epic project.  2500 is a _lot_ of kills, even if they are orchestrated.  I'm inclined to say _especially_ if they are orchestrated, given all the extra time that would take, setting up each kill individually.

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2010, 01:08:14 am »

Let's recall, Tholtig wasn't an in-game dwarf - she was a historical figure that got produced during Worldgen.  There's no telling whether or not it's even _possible_ to accomplish what she did during gameplay.  As has been pointed out, the chances of a random stray arrow doing critical damage in game are fairly high over such a long history.  I'm going to go ahead and suggest that the combat calculations are vastly simplified during worldgen, which likely contributes to careers like this.

Still, it's certainly an epic project.  2500 is a _lot_ of kills, even if they are orchestrated.  I'm inclined to say _especially_ if they are orchestrated, given all the extra time that would take, setting up each kill individually.
Toady actually posted the combat calculations at one point, and I think they're for 40d.
This is only for non-critical melee hits. Essentially, a bad luck roll (note that toughness is factored in randomly, not totally) means that even your badass warrior might get stomped by a kobold (it's just very, very unlikely, and pretty much requires them to go berserk).

Of course, if your toughness is high enough you'll probably survive it. Morul survives being hit by a ballista, which is an instagib on everything from cows to dragons. He regens every wound less than yellow instantly, and is barely hampered by even red injuries. And Morul isn't even the most awesome of warriors, as his creator had to spend a lot of time doing the slow and boring trapping work (among other tedious tasks), so his toughness is only 78 or something.

Get a powerful enough dwarf this version (before attribute caps next version) and you won't die to anything unless you have terrible luck.
Pages: 1 [2]