Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: John Galt Challenge  (Read 3265 times)

Kadath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: John Galt Challenge
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2010, 08:35:41 pm »

What would be the easies way to build an underwater city/fortress? (i'm open to anything, even memory hacks...) 

Perhaps magically place a wall around it using a memory editor tool, draining it, and then removing the box. The tools i have found are a bit too cumbersome; my keyboard would wear down before it's complete...

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2010, 08:43:20 pm »

Build a huge above-ground storage for the ocean. Rig up massive pump stacks and windmill farms and pump the ocean up into that storage bin.

Once the ocean has been bumped dry, build your fortress. Then release the water to refill the ocean.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2010, 11:52:50 pm »

Build a huge above-ground storage for the ocean. Rig up massive pump stacks and windmill farms and pump the ocean up into that storage bin.

Once the ocean has been bumped dry, build your fortress. Then release the water to refill the ocean.

Ahhh, Dwarf Fortress.  Where else is the answer to all your problems either A) flood it with magma, B) collapse half a mountain on top of it, or C) PUMP THE ENTIRE OCEAN DRY, then flood the world!
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Kadath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2010, 07:54:41 am »

Too bad that would only work if you had a teeny tiny ocean that filled up just 1 map square  :P

Otherwise it would just fill up again from the edges :/

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2010, 12:42:59 pm »

With enough pumps, you can drain part of the ocean enough to get it down to 1 or 2 water, and build walls to keep the water out. I've done it before, but only with Speed0 dwarves.
Pages: 1 2 [3]