Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Less gruesome deaths  (Read 783 times)

Abyssal Squid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Less gruesome deaths
« on: May 22, 2008, 02:37:00 pm »

Not because I'm squeaminsh or anything, but because it makes it too easy to tell the dead from the merely unconscious.  Same with the clothes falling off corpses, and especially telegrams every time any creature dies anywhere.

Exploding in gore and this should tell you immediately that there's no chance of that body reviving, but most deaths in battle should be a result of blood loss or internal bleeding, forcing you to check for signs of life, make sure the guy is dead, or wait a while from a safe distance.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Less gruesome deaths
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 02:52:00 pm »

What the game needs is more respect to biology. And more skills related to that. You can't know what organs were hit inside an opponent unless you literally know that opponent inside out. Also, the game needs to drop instakill effects tied to a bodypart. Now, a severed head=kill in most cases, but shouldn't it be an effect of a missing brain rather than an arbitrary tag effect? Same with upper and lower bodies. If your character is superultimately tough, he might live, for however a brief while, after his lower body was cut off, and deliver a final hit or do something like maybe drink a healing potion or don an amulet of life saving once those are in.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 03:39:00 pm »

I remember my superdwarvenly tough adventurer. He got both of his lungs pierced, and didn't even fall over. I then brought down the PAIN on the crossbowman that shot me. Another crossbowman pierced his heart, but he managed to pull it out and stab the crossbowman to death with it before he bled out. He was the freakin' tank.

I just love stories of Chuck Norrisly feats.

Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 03:46:00 pm »

Well, I suppose you'd also have to gather up your guts and put them back in...

At any rate, I'd think missing one's lower body would cause issues in performing any real actions, given a combo of the lack of a solid stance to attack from, as well as shock. Effectively, you're pretty much done for once you loose a bunch of vital organs like that. It would explain being able to have one's adventurer see what's going on around it once it's deceased.

As for blood loss, most of my kills are a result of that. I don't particularly feel checking for signs of life would be all that fun, not to mention the usual limb slicing/head crushing action beforehand makes one fairly sure. I guess a more generic 'soandso has fallen' message would allow for faking death to some degree, though.