Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Travel Mode: Travelling to specific creatures  (Read 1135 times)

OhJesusMagma

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Travel Mode: Travelling to specific creatures
« on: February 20, 2010, 02:49:46 pm »

It only happened once in my playthrough, but I recall while in travel mode and after pressing the > key, I was given an option to travel to "Creature" or "Do not Travel". This was really handy, as I could get to creatures near caves or just something to hunt down. Any idea how I can access this menu again? It was all fluke off my part.

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Travel Mode: Travelling to specific creatures
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 04:28:08 pm »

If you see a dash, a - on the map, that means there is a creature traveling in that area.  If you are on the map on one of those tiles and go to that area with > it will ask if you'd rather travel to that creature. 

Sometimes, though, if a creature is out in the wild, it wont show up on the map and you get the same option.  Seems almost random though, but, it happens a bit with caves.
Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 07:40:01 pm »

My personal theory was that you can only teleport directly to creatures you've seen before, but I never heard you can do it with caves.

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 06:06:01 pm »

It appears to give the travel to creature option when the creature in question is outside the area of the map square designated as the location.  I've mostly gotten travel-tos for dwarfs outside their mountain halls, but I think they also come up for creatures that wander well away from their cave mouths.
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 09:40:47 am »

Only works for historical figures.  I've been able to use that to get close to named critters like alligators and such.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Todestool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 10:10:55 am »

A nice feature - I used it just yesterday to wipe out all the refugees trying to flee the elven community I annihilated.  I do wish we could get more info than just "creature" though.  Maybe it could be tied to the ambusher skill so it goes creature-->elf-->swordself.  I know tracking and hunting will do this in DFv1, but I'd appreciate an improved stop-gap.