Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Guaranteed War  (Read 1054 times)

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Guaranteed War
« on: February 20, 2010, 01:25:32 am »

Is there any way to make a certain civilization to always be at war with dwarves? I want to make one of my modded civilizations start at war with my dwarves, just like the goblins, however I do not want them to be at war with the humans, elves, etc.

Is their any idea of how to do this? I think I saw something about changing of the ethics or something, or possibly the addding of certain tags. Help is much obliged.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Guaranteed War
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 04:24:33 am »

You can make a race always hostile by removing their ability to speak but that does not guarantee war. Something that works to a point is to make it so that their ethics are at opposite ends of the spectrum but in the current version there is [ALWAYS_AT_WAR] tag to add.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 08:43:47 am »

I believe all entities with the babysnatcher tag will permanently be at war with all non-babysnatchers.

I also believe if civilizations do not have the [canspeak] tag they will always be at war with all other civilizations. This is how I control the entities in my mod at least.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 08:45:40 am »

You should say not "I believe", but "I am sure", The13thRonin, because you're totally right.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 01:07:12 pm »

I know all these methods, but the key is to have them not fight humans and elves.

I guess I could try the opposite ethics thing.

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 01:55:11 pm »

Unfortunately, opposite ethics is a matter of luck.  I tried that with a custom race, and they had perhaps a 10%-25% chance to be at war with any given species.

You could just start a war with them in adventure mode, every game.  I think killing a site leader will start a war, maybe.  Mod dwarves to be super-tough temporarily, and try it?
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

Pathos

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 03:00:58 pm »

You can make a race always hostile by removing their ability to speak but that does not guarantee war. Something that works to a point is to make it so that their ethics are at opposite ends of the spectrum but in the current version there is [ALWAYS_AT_WAR] tag to add.

No such tag, chap. Or, at least, I get an errorlog when I use it.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 03:13:10 pm »

You can make a race always hostile by removing their ability to speak but that does not guarantee war
It does guarantee a war.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 04:59:24 pm »

Unfortunately, opposite ethics is a matter of luck.  I tried that with a custom race, and they had perhaps a 10%-25% chance to be at war with any given species.

You could just start a war with them in adventure mode, every game.  I think killing a site leader will start a war, maybe.  Mod dwarves to be super-tough temporarily, and try it?
The problem with ethics provoking war is that ethics only come into play when civs are adjacent.  So your home civ shares a border with the closest civ of a given species to your fortress, they'll probably come and invade through ethics conflicts alone.  But this doesn't happen very often.

I always thought babysnatching civs would auto-fight each other too, but I'm not positive; looking for confirmation now. didn't find it
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 06:15:32 pm by nil »

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 06:44:34 pm »

You can make a race always hostile by removing their ability to speak but that does not guarantee war
It does guarantee a war.
Maybe he means that it guarantees that the races will hate all other races and be incapable of any interaction beyond warfare, but not necassarily that there will be any actual conflicts. They may just not get 'round to it.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 06:54:29 pm »

But the fact of the war would be present if you embark :P. Actual conflicts don't directly interefere with the gameplay.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 07:04:41 pm »

Well, it guarantees war, but not action. So you might not get seiged, and you might not get any world-gen conflicts, one or both of which I guess OP is gunning for. But then again, neither of those are a guarantee no matter what you do, so I guess you win this round, Deon

'course, if you want a fight, you could always embark on their city.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2010, 07:16:45 pm »

So you might not get seiged
If you have access to this race, you will be sieged, usually in the first winter.

'course, if you want a fight, you could always embark on their city.
It wouldn't work, local residents are friendly.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2010, 08:41:51 pm »

Ok, so what I am getting from this discussion is that there is no way to guarantee a war between dwarves and a civilization and having said civilization at peace with everyone else. I also want to know what an adventurer can do to start a war and if there is anyway that war can be guaranteed in the next version (outside of babysnatching and lack of can_speak).