Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: bolt restrictions for training  (Read 763 times)

Quitschi1337

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
bolt restrictions for training
« on: May 22, 2008, 12:50:00 pm »

Okay here we are in our humble fortress and everything is goin his way, the miners channel themselves into an otherwise unreachable part of the map happily, the stoneworkers enjoy to seal themselves in a 1x1 tile while the marksdwarves train at the well designed archery target room.
But im not here to complain about some features which forc the player to pay attention at WHAT exactely he orders to his dwarves, well not now.

Okay lets put ourselves into the mind of one of the last named by the time he gets a
"hey im off duty, lets shoot a bit for practice" thought.

We go to the room where all the ammonition is stocked and once we are there we focus our mind on the selction of the right bolts for training.

"Okay, what do we have here.."

"Lets see.. ahh, a -lamprey bone bolt [5]-, uhm rather not."

*looks around some more*

"These *foul blendec bone bolt [35]* maybe? Naa, i had some like these already yesterday."

"Time to make a choice, well ill take these

Okay here we are in our humble fortress and everything is goin his way, the miners channel themselves into an otherwise unreachable part of the map happily, the stoneworkers enjoy to seal themselves in a 1x1 tile while the marksdwarves train at the well designed archery target room.
But im not here to complain about some features which forc the player to pay attention at WHAT exactely he orders to his dwarves, well not now.

Okay lets put ourselves into the mind of one of the last named by the time he gets a
"hey im off duty, lets shoot a bit for practice" thought.

We go to the room where all the ammonition is stocked and once we are there we focus our mind on the selction of the right bolts for training.

"Okay, what do we have here.."

"Lets see.. ahh, a -lamprey bone bolt [5]-, uhm rather not."

*looks around some more*

"These *foul blendec bone bolt [35]* maybe? Naa, i had some like these already yesterday."

"Time to make a choice, well ill take these
☼<<8801>>☼"

later on in the court:

"Did you, Ast Erangalnêst shoot the
☼<<8801>>☼'s for training, those which were ment to buy our food supply for the winter?"

*Ast Erangalnêst, Marksdwarf cancels attend metting, court: eat*

"Get back to your seat!"

"I hereby declare you guilty for [..], your punishment will be 3*10^12345 hammer strikes,  headsman proceed"

What i wanted to point out with thos little story is, that i want a option to allow only boltstacks below a certain size to be used for training as well as an option to prevent ornated boltstacks frombeeing used in training.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: bolt restrictions for training
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 01:23:00 pm »

And my reply is:
Don't rely on bone bolts for trading! ^.^
There's enough wealth in stone crafts that it's unnessessary to decorate bone bolts in order to buy out a caravan.

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 01:33:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Quitschi1337:
<STRONG>What i wanted to point out with thos little story is, that i want a option to allow only boltstacks below a certain size to be used for training as well as an option to prevent ornated boltstacks frombeeing used in training. </STRONG>

I'm not saying that this is a bad idea, but couldn't you just [f]orbid the bolts you don't want them training with instead?

--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Quitschi1337

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 02:10:00 pm »

The part of the story with the food for winter was fictional, i never rely to bone stacks for trading because of the abundance of narrow gcs clothes as well as catapult parts etcetc.

And yes i can and i do use the forbid option, but i think its just not very comfortable, especially not if you actually want the bolts to be hauled into the fitting stockpile.

I just wanted to make a a bolt stack ornated with any bone i could get, but it was very strenuus with marksdwarves training at the same time.

After all its just a suggestion and might become unnecessary once a better stacking system is implemented.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 01:21:00 pm »

I could see this being useful for having one room (with a garbage compactor) with a big stockpile for <20 stacks, and another for the REAL stacks that can actually be used.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

NikkTheTrick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 08:06:00 pm »

Actually, maybe we should just be given choice of what the maximum price of a bolt be to consider it a "training" one? For example, we could allow simple copper bolts to be used in training (those are not much better than wooden or bone ones anyway). Or, we could even allow iron bolts to be used if we have iron to waste.

Also, maybe we should be able to make rock bolts? They would be complete crap, but cheap and easy (for the sake of balance, also slow) to make. After all, bolt is not much harder to carve than an amulet or a pusslebox.

Dwarf Fortress- where nightmare fuel is recycled into business plan.