Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Multi-tile megabeasts  (Read 3487 times)

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Multi-tile megabeasts
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2008, 06:46:00 am »

Most fortresses have 3-tile wide entrances anyway, to allow trader's wagons to enter. So I think any size up to 3x3 would already work quite well. As for not confusing it with a bunch of 1-tile critters, the text could be inverted, meaning the background would be colored and the letter would be black. This would also allow shapes with even sidelength, unlike Draco18s' suggestion.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

MoonCabbage

• Bay Watcher
  • Robot Rock, Robot
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2008, 03:41:00 am »

Toady has already mentioned multi-tiled beasts and boats at some point in time. i believe it was an interview, the gamasutra one i think?

oh well anyhoo it has loads to deal with pathfinding and creature spawning. especially with moving other creatures "out of the way" when the multi-tiled objects moves and what not. Wagons are special in this case for some reason i'm too tired to think of right now.

As to just making giant D's for dragons roaming around... It can't be done period in DF. It may be open GL but Toady has already stated the code doesn't allow blown up lettering occupying multiple tiles to function. Besides the tacky-ness of seeing a large D when Toady could potentially make multi-tiled objects.

Multi-tiled objects are in the works. Just don't expect to see them anytime soon.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2008, 03:45:00 am »

Wagons are special because they just run over creatures. Megabeasts could do that, as well. Megabeasts are usually a single army anyway, so they don't have to avoid anything.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

MoonCabbage

• Bay Watcher
  • Robot Rock, Robot
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2008, 01:14:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by zagibu:
<STRONG>Wagons are special because they just run over creatures. Megabeasts could do that, as well. Megabeasts are usually a single army anyway, so they don't have to avoid anything.</STRONG>

you see, if it was this easy it would have done already  :(

wagons are essentially buildings (even tho they are in the creature.text) and like i mentioned are special for reasons outside of moving other objects "out of the way", pathfinding, and creature spawning; the three things i think toady mentioned in multi-tiled beasts.

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2008, 06:44:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Neonivek:
<STRONG>
Is probably because Toady has yet to put in intelligent sieging and a Multitile creature is basically harmless without it unless it has the ability to spawn creatures itself (that would be cool, a GIANT flying Hive that spawns killer bees) or stay at your front door forever.
</STRONG>

That would be an awesome new Hydra. The main body would be your 3x3 tile monster (or however big you decide hydras are) and it could spawn smaller "monsters" which are it's heads.

Aslong as you can keep the head "monsters" from running off, so they are always near the main monster body, that would let you have this awesomeness whilst still having he traditional hydra head regeneration.  :)

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2008, 11:29:00 pm »

I think that making a megabeast has a 1 tile body, a 1 tile tail, and between 2 and 10? individual heads would be awesome.
If you gave the heads the ability to stack if needed so that it could fit into narrower corridors and gobble cowering dwarves that would be more awesome.

Dragons could be a 1 tile head, 1 tile tail, and 2 single tile wings, with a ranged fire breath. Just make sure that the wings stay between the head and the tail.
Colossi would just be 2x2x2 that also smash walls so they can fit.

Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2008, 12:30:00 am »

Don't forget the greek legendary monster Typhon, the ONE HUNDRED headed hydra.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2008, 01:20:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Techhead:
<STRONG>Colossi would just be 2x2x2</STRONG>

As "correct" as that is, we've discussed the issue of multi-zlevel pathing when discussing seige towers.  The result is that it is extremely difficut.

Pages: 1 [2]