Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modding experience rates?  (Read 722 times)

darkedone02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Modding experience rates?
« on: February 16, 2010, 07:38:00 pm »

Since Dwarf Companion has not updated to the latest version, is it possible to change the experience rates to make my dwarf goes legendary by just doing one action? is there another way to modify the exp similar to what Dwarf Companion can do?

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: Modding experience rates?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 12:29:09 am »

The only speed-change you can make to experience rates is adding [SLOW_LEARNER] to make experience gain half as fast. Apart from that, no. There isn't any way I know of.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 01:26:34 am »

You can't, AFAIK, make instant-expert people, but you might be able to make quick-expert people. My thought is this: make a "weapon" with the following tags:

[DAMAGE:0:BLUDGEON]
[RANGED:CROSSBOW:DUCK]
[SKILL:theoneyouwanttolevelfast]

You'll have to regen, but when you do, you just draft the desired fast-legend and at least 1 other dwarf, forbid all of your crossbows, set the desired fast-legend to use crossbows, and then let him spar. In theory, since this odd weapon is a crossbow the dwarf will use it, and since there's no valid ammo for it he'll spar. The weapon uses the desired skill for attacks, so that's what is developed during sparring, and since the weapon does no damage, there's no risk of death and the dwarf will only break to eat, drink, and sleep. Should let you get any skill to Legendary within a couple of seasons without any problems, and since they don't actually gain a military skill they don't have any problem with becoming undeactivatable.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 06:59:27 pm »

One problem with that: Unless you make it reaction only, allied dwarf merchant guards will be wielding them.
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

deoxy

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert witty comment here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 09:44:12 am »

The only speed-change you can make to experience rates is adding [SLOW_LEARNER] to make experience gain half as fast. Apart from that, no. There isn't any way I know of.

You know, I just might do this.  Sure, it would make certain skills RIDICULOUSLY painful to gain (thread extraction, engraving, architect), but some of the others are just silly right now (wrestling, mining, clerk, administrator).

Some way to mod how much XP (and maybe even of what type) certain actions give would be pretty nice.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 07:01:41 pm »

You know, I just might do this.  Sure, it would make certain skills RIDICULOUSLY painful to gain (thread extraction, engraving, architect), but some of the others are just silly right now (wrestling, mining, clerk, administrator).

Some way to mod how much XP (and maybe even of what type) certain actions give would be pretty nice.

Word is, the DIFFICULTY tag on a creature can increase the experience gained from smacking it about, but I've never noticed appreciable gains. I think it may just be wiki-tomfoolery, but testing might yield some answers

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 04:03:43 am »

I've never experienced any more XP gains from wresting a DIFFICULTY:2 creature than from a wolf.

Can you confirm this?

Because as far as I know, "DIFFICULTY" only determines how deep is the creature in a cave/abandoned fortress spawned.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 01:35:41 pm »

Word is, the DIFFICULTY tag on a creature can increase the experience gained from smacking it about, but I've never noticed appreciable gains. I think it may just be wiki-tomfoolery, but testing might yield some answers
It probably doesn't work, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.