Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Android apps  (Read 658 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Android apps
« on: January 31, 2011, 08:58:28 pm »

So I got a Samsung Epic and I'm working on my app library.

Either games or not-games, doesn't matter.  What things are neat?

"SNesoid" and "GameBoid" are emulators with free versions (no savestates, but with the normal battery saves).  There's also a ROM finding app called "Emulator ROMs" that is shockingly easy, for downloading roms of the games you already own (naturally).  They use multitouch and put the controls on the screen itself, which is a lot easier than it sounds to control; you won't be playing Super Metroid very well, but Final Fantasy and Advance Wars and stuff are fine.  Okay, you CAN play Super Metroid, but I only got out of the exploding space colony with like ten seconds left, so it's tricky.  They also work with slide-out keyboards of course.

Geocaching and geohashing are, of course, quite cool.  I enjoy c:geo for my geocaching needs, and there's an actual "Geohash" app as well.

"3D Compass" is awesome if you have an AR-capable phone.  It displays the camera image, with a compass overlaid, basically just like if you were holding one out in front of you (great for getting exact bearings to visible landmarks).  Map in the corner, all that good stuff. 

"SoundHound" uses the mic to record whatever song you are listening to, and identifies it after about twenty seconds.  Just press the big shiny button when you want to know what that song on the radio or the grocery store speakers is.  Seems to deal with noise pretty well.  Mostly limited to popular stuff, but hey, if you hear it played in public and don't already know what it is, it's probably in its library.

"DroidTropes" STAY AWAY, YOU DON'T NEED TVTROPES ON YOUR PHONE

"File Expert":  Lets you run http and ftp servers ON YOUR PHONE.  Public-facing IP, for me at least.  How fucking awesome is that.

All these are free, and they haven't broken my phone yet...but of course, use at your own risk.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile
Re: Android apps
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 09:47:43 pm »

APKtor. "Alternative market". You can search for the repos on google. If you get that, get Game Dev Story, or you could buy it although in my opinion it's overpriced.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 11:18:06 pm »

You can check BoardGameGeek for some games. I know there's a few lists of Android games.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 02:22:54 am »

Akinator has a Android app, although that might be in the same class as TvTropes. :P
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 12:15:38 pm »

Awesome game called StarTrader. Elite is optional.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 03:10:37 pm »

Awesomesauce!

Also, I got my Deadlands die-roller program working.  Graphics and sound and scrolly-bits and everything.  I'm quite pleased; Android development could hardly be easier.

Oh, and I just started playing with AndAR.  Print out (or draw!) an AR tag, then look at it through the camera and you'll see a 3d model sitting on it that rotates along with the tag.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!