Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 'abandoned' fortresses remaining active in the world?  (Read 737 times)

Sinfang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
'abandoned' fortresses remaining active in the world?
« on: February 17, 2010, 09:42:54 pm »

Just a thought - If I'm bored with my fort, instead of it being abandoned and trashed, could I leave it in the control of the computer?  So that the next fortress I start up might actually get a trade caravan from my old one, or a message in adventure mode that the fortress eventually fell to goblins.  Basically, let the computer dicide what happens afterward.

Or even, if the game ever supports playing as multiple races (not just in the modding sense) I could start up a goblin fort, play for a while, then leave to start a new one - and so on - until I can watch time pass and see my gobbos take over the world?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 'abandoned' fortresses remaining active in the world?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 09:59:19 pm »

I don't think histories continue after world gen.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 10:02:48 pm »

It's on the list. Toady intends for this to happen, but right now he hasn't gotten around to programming fortresses that actually run. Currently, towns are full of people who wander around and eat and drink from infinite barrels. In the future, this will happen.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 10:29:31 pm »

Histories continue after world gen - it's just all about you, that's all.  Legends mode fills up with tales of every single caravan that wandered by and bought your absurdly expensive goblinite giant cave spider crap in exchange for roughly 3 tons of steel, platinum, and precious gems.  (I guess it's historical in the sense that a single hole in the ground can accumulate wealth so easily by what I assume are merchants who smack their heads and realizes how useless narrow giant cave spider silk loincloths are when the only people who want them kill on sight, and spawn infinite amounts of them. Every year.)

All the interesting stuff tends to end, though.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 10:33:20 pm »

I guess the office workers burn everything unrelated to the fortress after world gen.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 04:34:58 pm »

Histories continue after world gen - it's just all about you, that's all.

Ehhh...that's iffy.  Run a fort for...say, 10 years.  Do another 10 year fort.  Start an adventurer.  Explore around in the wilderness and look at your two forts.  Spend 20 years doing (or attempting) this.

Your world is now 40 years past world gen.

Visit a human town.  Watch half of the inhabitants keel over from old age as you enter the town.

World gen only runs in the areas that are currently loaded into active memory (eg. where your adventurer is).  Other locations get updated when they get loaded and don't get "world genned" but rather suffer instant aging.