Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: king incest  (Read 2758 times)

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
Re: king incest
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2010, 05:56:36 pm »

Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

The_Rabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2010, 05:59:39 pm »

Marrying one's cousin is not considered incest in a pretty large portion of the world's cultures. Furthermore, having a child with one's cousin entails about the same risk as having a child over the age of 40, so If you're hoping for dwarves with 3 arms then you'll be disappointed.

Just wait till we get some Oedipus incidents.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2010, 06:05:10 pm »

Marrying one's cousin is not considered incest in a pretty large portion of the world's cultures. Furthermore, having a child with one's cousin entails about the same risk as having a child over the age of 40, so If you're hoping for dwarves with 3 arms then you'll be disappointed.

DWARF OEDIPUS AGHH!
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2010, 06:23:03 pm »

My latest advisor was the queen consort's mother... I always thought they were scheming to dump the king and control the empire. Funnyly though when disaster came the king was first to die.

(He was awesome though, slayed 2 titans and one cyclops, and only lost his big toe on his left foot!  :o)
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2010, 06:28:22 pm »

A relative of mine is a nurse. She has informed me that there are some inherited diseases that (she didn't give me examples) that affect the child when transmitted from both parents. If it's in your family, then it needs to be "watered down" further than to the cousin level to be okay. So while the risk of "omg inbred retard" is small - there are most definitely complications.

Take this for what it's worth though. She IS a nurse but she has only been so for a few years and it was just a brief, undescriptive discussion we had.

My latest advisor was the queen consort's mother... I always thought they were scheming to dump the king and control the empire. Funnyly though when disaster came the king was first to die.

(He was awesome though, slayed 2 titans and one cyclops, and only lost his big toe on his left foot!  :o)

ARGH! MY ACHILES TOE!
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2010, 08:27:15 pm »

this thread disgusts me.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2010, 08:29:40 pm »

we're in the same boat.
YOU DOUBLE PENIS

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2010, 01:16:34 pm »

A relative of mine is a nurse. She has informed me that there are some inherited diseases that (she didn't give me examples) that affect the child when transmitted from both parents. If it's in your family, then it needs to be "watered down" further than to the cousin level to be okay. So while the risk of "omg inbred retard" is small - there are most definitely complications.

Take this for what it's worth though. She IS a nurse but she has only been so for a few years and it was just a brief, undescriptive discussion we had.

Also, if the cousin incest goes on long enough (over generations etc.) the complications and degeneracy probably stacks up so in the end you get an inbred, retarded mutant baby anyway.

The_Rabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2010, 02:10:30 pm »

Even so, many of the cultures that practice cousin-based marriage have rules and customs regarding that which promote such huge family sizes and selective marriages that, over the generations, there's still a great deal of mixing going on.

Instead of, say, the same two or three royal families passing back descendants, you end up involving a pretty large number of people in the same "family." When most people think of cousin marrying they freak out, but that's in large part because they're applying the nuclear family model to it, which would create monstrous humanoids over very few generations.

I would name my 4 arm baby Goro.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2010, 08:17:01 pm »

I think you've found a sane dwarf. Other than the whole incest thing.
Well, incest is supposed to result in messed-up children, right? But since dwarves are already so weird...
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2010, 08:34:02 pm »

One family with inbreeding like that has already been mentioned, the Haspburgs, who are well known for having haemophilia (the blood doesn't clot) running in their family.

Its not just inbreeding that can do this, theres the founder effect since you're starting with a small genepool and the incidence of a genetic disorder will be magnified.

Regarding the incest stuff, the Egyptans took it to the max level and often did sibling marriage.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 08:35:52 pm by smjjames »
Pages: 1 [2]