Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Vaults  (Read 4706 times)

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: Vaults
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2010, 08:56:25 pm »

Well, has anyone made tic-tac-toe in DF yet? We'll start there.
But the general idea of Dwarfputers seems sound to me in vaults. Overly complex to build.
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-1813-tictactoev10simple
But no AI.
Whatever. Maybe I could use tacticus to lock the vault. Beat the game at that, and you win.

If we're basing a vault around games, my vote's on Pictionary.

But in all seriousness, I had an idea while reading this - you know how a 1x1 drawbridge looks the same both when it's raised as well as when it's lowered? Using this you could make effectively a 'blind' labyrinth run. Your adventurer stumbles into a large room with a labyrinth printed on the floor using two simple colours, with an obvious start and finish. They take note of this and cross the room, then descending to see... what looks like a solid block of fortifications, all the same colour. There are two types of bridges making up the labyrinth - the ones that are always raised and serve as the walls, and the ones that begin raised. To access the labyrinth, you must pull a lever to lower the bridges that look like floors, but once you're inside, you're effectively walking blind. You must try and remember the correct pathway you memorized from the floor in the room above before the timer runs out... and the bridges raise again. Squish!

For extra fun, you could make a series of paths through the labyrinth and each one goes to a different room, with different colours on the map floor highlighting your final destination and the different coloured levers cueing which to pull to start the timer... or a 'reverse' labyrinth where the 'wall' bridges lower and you need to find your way across there. You could actually do a whole lot more with a process like this, but that was the first thing that came to my head.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2010, 09:51:45 pm »

I love that idea. +2 internets to you.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2010, 10:45:18 pm »

That's a really great idea, but people can simply use the look command to get through.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2010, 10:54:42 pm »

Hm, I suppose. Which also just reminded me that adventure mode uses that line-of-sight thing I always forget about. In that case, you could remove the map and simply make them run through the maze on a timer before they get crushed. They'd be able to see in general, but not where they're running to with the absence of the map. Not as fun, but still would be pretty entertaining. Maybe you could leave some other clue in the fort as well so they'd have a faint idea of where they're trying to get to... or place small safe rooms along the way, each with a new lever to prepare the next segment of the labyrinth. The mechanics would take forever, though.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]