Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Increasing stockpile efficiency.  (Read 1235 times)

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
Increasing stockpile efficiency.
« on: February 21, 2010, 02:16:06 pm »

Probably sugested already, but hell.
I sugest this mostly because of how silly the stone stockpiles are now. You basicaly just put one stone next to another until its full, while the great majority of stone remains in your hallways and rooms, cluttering everything. You have to use a few square miles of fortress space if you want to store all that stone properly. Its no suprise most players just ignore the stones and leave them around cluttering everything.

Anyway, my sugestion is a simple one: allow stones to be piled one on eachother. Since every z level seems to be divided in 7 sub levels, you could make each pile contain a max of 7 stones. With this, each stockpile tile could store up to 7 stones, increasing its efficiency sevenfold, and making stone stockpiles actualy feasible.

The same could be done for everything else that can't be stone in a bin or barrel.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
Re: Increasing stockpile efficiency.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 02:33:37 pm »

Build a mason's workshop, set it on Build Stone Blocks, set order on repeat, build bins and set up a block stockpile. Problem solved. Edit: Or, of course, make rock crafts.

Stacking stones has been suggested before, and people will probably come along soon and elaborate (I haven't followed those discussions).
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 03:24:56 pm »

Or make a quantum stockpile. Designate small zones of garbage dumps near large stone places, and designate all the stone to be dumped. Ta-da, 800 stone in one tile.

Soulbourne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 03:31:44 pm »

Stones can be stacked also...if you build a building and stones are in the way, the dwarve stacks them while clearing.  *Has like 5 alumnite on one tile atm thanks to this*

Norseman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 10:35:34 am »

I like this idea, but I think it would be better to introduce a new container so that not only can they be stored in small spaces, but also they can be moved efficiently. For random stuff that doesn't belong in barrels, bags or bins, why not have crates? This should also be easier to program. Just adding a crate should be about as easy as copying one of the other containers, and changing the list of acceptable items.