Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What to do with all these extra dwarfs?  (Read 587 times)

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What to do with all these extra dwarfs?
« on: February 18, 2010, 10:34:25 am »

So I'm currently running a fort based on a two main ideas:

1) No standing military/guards. All dwarfs are issued leather armor (and when I get them) wooden swords.
2) No forging or stone crafting, main industry is clothing.

I'm sort of at a loss over what to do with all my extra idlers. I already have about 30 or so dedicated to making rock blocks, but I have maybe 35 more migrants coming at some point and have roughly no jobs for them. Any suggestions?

Legendary_Catsmith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What to do with all these extra dwarfs?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 10:42:28 am »

Craftsdwarfship is a good one.  I had the same trouble, and making mugs keeps my dorfs occupied.  Also, any food industry can be as labor-intensive as you want it to be.  Preparing super-nice meals, hunt/butcher/tan/leatherwork, farm/mill/weave...

Just build up your industries.  It's working for me so far...

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 10:58:52 am »

Megaprojects. Put those blocks to good use building a tower to your glory.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 11:06:02 am »

That's a good question. In my next for I plan on avoiding a lot of crafts if only because I think the reason my last few forts have turned into 0-fps lag deaths has been because of the vastly huge item counts my craftsdwarves racked up.

You could have them all train up in military skills, just use Dwarf Therapist to watch their skill levels and stop them when they get close to locking into the military. That would buy you a few seasons. Similarly, build pumps and have them train pump operating, just for stat gain. Restrict your meeting area to 3x3 or so and watch their social skills skyrocket as they idle there.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 11:30:00 am »

extra dwarfs + Magma = !!extra dwarfs!!
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 11:41:14 am »

I'm actually finding that my self-imposed "no military or weapons" tends to do a nice job of keeping the population stable. I just lost about 7 dwarfs to an ambush.

I have also begun the base of a massive tower, as well. Good suggestions, all.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 12:04:48 pm »

Actually, if you REALLY want to consume massive amounts of labor, make a serious textile mill/sweatshop.

I kind of went overboard on my first fort, not really knowing what a good number of tiles or workshops would be...  Wound up with around 300-400 tiles of farmland, about half of which were to pig tails, rope reed, or dyes.  Five farmer's workshops, four looms, four clothier's workshops, four dyer's workshops.  A dwarf for each workshop, about four or five growers, plus a constant unfulfilled demand for harvesters.  (even with a dozen or so children plus nobles with nothing better to do, plenty of my crops were left to rot on the vine.)

On the plus side, when they all get up to legendary, you can start pumping out absurd numbers of socks (which all fit in bins) that are worth something like 400-600 dbs apiece, for the effective cost of half a rope reed and half a dimple cup... whcih grow in stacks of five. 

Yeah, sure, not nearly as valuable as a 80-unit stack of masterpiece quarry bush leaves (holy crap! That sells for 20,000 dbs!), but the advantage of using bins can add up when you start really expanding on this.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 12:12:32 pm »

hm ... large amounts of unprotected goods you say?

Gobbos! Move out!
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 12:21:15 pm »

Unprotected would be the wrong word. Instead of investing in fancy accoutrements like "weapons" or "armor," I rely on the hardy wrestling skills and a general tactic of "pile on the goblins" for defense. I have yet to see if a siege can be broken using these methods. It seems to be adequate for ambushes (average of about 5 dwarfs lost per ambush string... and I have plenty of dwarfs).

If nothing else, the goblins will pay a steep price to clear out this fort.