Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Increased FUN  (Read 511 times)

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Increased FUN
« on: February 15, 2010, 06:47:13 pm »

So in my newest fort, I am trying to make things a bit more challenging (I don't want to get too involved in it, since I imagine the new version will come out relatively shortly, so no Mega-constructions).

My idea is to have no standing military, no armor, and only wooden swords. Basically, everyone would just have a wooden sword on them and man... er... dwarf up when goblins showed up. I find that once I get about 10 well-trained soldiers in most of my forts, fun becomes very rare.

Thoughts on this? Any other ideas on how to make this fort challenging and interesting? Again, I don't want to get super invested in it, since it will be summarily abandoned once the new version is released. (For reference, just plain vanilla DF, no Orcs or other mods).

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
Re: Increased FUN
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 08:18:36 pm »

I like the idea of an entirely civilian military with no formal training. Against nothing stronger than goblins or vanilla megabeasts, it'd probably work out fine. It would give some fun personal stories of heroism to your "normal" dwarves, and your wartime casualties would have a bigger impact on the fort since the casualty would have also been an economic producer. Possibly it'd give the fort a different "feel" after every battle.

Alternatively, you could limit yourself to just one or two ultra-trained champions at a time, and no other military, and put the entire fate of your fort in the champion(s)'(s) hands.