Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Special Tile that spontaneously generates migrants???????  (Read 850 times)

ManiacallyChallenged

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Special Tile that spontaneously generates migrants???????
« on: February 14, 2010, 04:16:39 pm »

Yeah, like the subject said.
I was minding my own business, stealing some tame squirrels from an elven caravan, when suddenly:

SOME MIGRANTS HAVE ARRIVED!
And the camera centers right ON MY OWN FORT. It is an outdoor fort(blasphemy, I know) with multiple houses and a the like for 26 current residents. I initially think I scrolled too fast and missed the arrival point, but then I notice...

Migrants are coming out of the wall in one of the houses. Insanity. A batch of 16 migrants just popped right the fuck out of the wall.

I took a video, how might I post it?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Special Tile that spontaneously generates migrants???????
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 04:28:20 pm »

Go to the Dwarf Fortress Map Archive.

As for this phenomenon, it's been recorded before. It's commonly referred to as ninja migrants.

You'll have lots of fun when you get ninja ambushes.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 04:42:34 pm »

I assume you have a rectangular embark area, which is the reason for migrants popping put of nowhere. As Jim said, prepare for ambushes/sieges from the same place.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 04:57:18 pm »

As Jim said, prepare for ambushes/sieges from the same place.
Don't ruin his Fun.  >:(

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 07:58:41 pm »

In case you're not up to randomly searching for something that you may or may not have the right keywords to find...

Dwarf fortress assumes your embark is square when it decids where stuff comes from when they enter your map.  As such, rectangular embarks behave ... strangely... when something is supposed to spawn along a short edge.

They came from the middle of your map, because is your map was square, that's where an edge would be.